TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Last night i was watching my phillips LCD TV and I noticed…

Customer Question
Last night i was watching...
Last night i was watching my phillips LCD TV and I noticed that the room started to smell of burning plastic. I traced the smell to the TV unit itself, not the power cord. The TV didn't feel any hotter than normal, but the smell was very strong coming out of the air vents on the TV. What is wrong? The TV is only 1.5 years old, how could anything be going wrong with it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/25/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Did the tv continue working perfectly other then the smell?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Yes, it kept working

Have you noticed the tv taking an extended period of time to turn on at all?

Tim

I just checked and it seems like the tv might take an extra second or 2 to turn on. And the smell returns immediately

We have a common failure in your model with some capacitors in the power supply. These capacitors smell bad when they go bad and can cause the tv to take an extended period of time to turn on. Normally starts out with a few seconds, then it will be minutes, hours and then finally the tv doesn't come on any more. From what you are saying, this seems like it is a plausible problem to be causing your problem.

Now the bad news is that this repair normally runs $175-$200 to have it repaired professionally. If you know how to solder and use a meter I can assist you with this repair.

Unfortunately they do not make these sets like they used to, I know you are flabbergasted that it is failing within the first 2 years but the honest truth is that we repair more tv's now that are less than 3 years old then ever before. These things are just not made with quality in mind any more. I am sorry to bring the bad news.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

can you give me the detailed explaination on how to repair it if I could solder. I know my dad is good with soldering and such and so long as he would know what to do, he could probably take care of it

If he knows how to solder he will need to remove the back of the tv to access the power supply, once he could access the power supply he would need to inspect the capacitors for bubbled tops, if he found them then he would need to look on the side to find the value, order them and replace them. It is a fairly straight forward repair...the only thing he might have trouble with is where to find the parts. Normally www.mcmelectronics.com is a good place to find these parts. If he decides to go for it himself, he can let me know if he has any problems and I will be more than happy to assist him further.

Tim