TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a sony trinitron 2001 the problem is the tv will go…

Customer Question
I have a sony trinitron...
I have a sony trinitron 2001 the problem is the tv will go blankand as i switch it off for a couple of minutes it comes back on then does it again can you please give me some input on what you recommend. or should i just buy another tv. my wife really loves this tv.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/25/2010
TV Technician: Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD replied 8 years ago
Flatpanel Guru
Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD

Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is John,

The problem you are describing is called a AKB (auto Kine Biasing) error. Sony's unlike other brands only show a picture when you have a good picture, that is why you never see a Sony with a Green picture or blown out sides and distorted faces, Sony uses a circuit calls AKB to keep the tube balance at all time, if 1 color goes high or low the set blanks and adjust the voltage to ensure a good picture, that is why it takes to so long to get a picture compared to other sets you may own. The error comes when the set can not detect or can not correct the issue, if the issue is not resolved the picture will stay blanked.

There are 2 and only 2 causes for this issue

1. Failed CRT (expensive REALLY expensive)

2. Failed Drive to the CRT (cheap under $100 parts and labor [at least at my shop and the ones around me])

CRT failure would not be unheard of as this model does have some known issues with weak CRT from factory, and in that case the cost of the tube is over $300 + labor which is a crap shot to say the least, that it would be under $100 based on the time involved.

The other possible failure is the Drive which can be as simple as a failed vertical circuit, which in most brands causes a line in that picture but on a sony just blanks the picture.

The problem is that is not a straight forward "resolve this" issue it is more like 40% chance of a bad tube and 60% chance of failed drive.

My recommendation is call around and see what it would cost to get it evaluated my shop and many shops around me charge a low diagnostic that is applied to the repair if approved, mine is $25 but most are under $40.

If it is a drive issue, there is no board to swap the repair requires a good bit of knowledge about electronics, including the requirement of some pretty expensive test equipment, if you have the knowledge and own a scope i can do my best to help you identify the issue, but in my opinion before disposal, i would have it estimated. You will have to remove the set from the house if your going to dispose so if your walking that far to the curb what is a few more feet to the car and to a shop, most will dispose of it for you if it is not worth repair at no additional charge.

Hope this helps,

If you have any question please ask.

Thanks,

Thanks for viewing my answer.

Did this answer your question, or help explain your issue, if not please just let me know i will do my best to find you another answer.

Thanks in advance,