TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 3 year old Samsung (HP t-5044) 50 plasma tv. The…

Customer Question
I have a 3 year...
I have a 3 year old Samsung (HP
t-5044) 50" plasma tv. The screen went black. I found if I turned it off for 10 or 15 minutes it would come back for a minute or even two hours. Eventually that didn't work and the picture wouldn't come back. Audio was fine the whole time just no video. I replaced the smps thinking that was the cause and was quite pleased when I installed it and had a picture again only to find a few minutes in the picture faded to black again (slowly this time). I then checked the VA and VS voltages again and they are where they should be. I tapped the Y Sus heat sink and picture returned only to leave again and I could not replicate again. Oddly, I turned on a ceiling fan, over the tv, and the picture has returned and stayed for two hours plus despite turning the fan off two hours ago. The back housing is still off and I'm sure this is helping with the heat dissipation but that is not a long term solution nor do I have faith that this is the only problem going on here. Not sure how to diagnose a faulty tv when it's working properly but I'm sure the failing component will fail again. My suspicions are either the Z sustain board or the Y sustain board but I'm only guessing based on what I have read here and elsewhere. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/25/2010
TV Technician: Frank the tv man, Technician replied 8 years ago
Frank the tv man
Frank the tv man, Technician
My educated guess at this point would be the Ysustain or the Y buffers. I have seen that cause no video and intermittent video. Also you might want to check the Y sustain for leakie caps or puffed up caps.
This is definately a head scratcher. It's been working like a champ for 5 straight hours now.

I had a look at the capacitors for bulging/leaking but couldn't find anything. I don't know how to determine if it's the buffers without it acting up. They would definately be cheaper to replace than the Y sustain board.

This all seemed to begin with our first heat wave of the year. This morning was very hot and humid when it blacked out on me but this evening has cooled off and still going. Is there any component more susceptible to heat/humidity than the others. Also, I'm curious as to a possible lose connection somewhere? I wiggled all the wires at their connecting points but nothing.
It is hard to tell exactly what the problem might be with the screen going blank. It could be your main board also. I would try using a heat gun or hair dryer heating up different components and see if it is goes blank. I would start with the Y sus and or Y buffer since that is the most likely suspect.
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for now.
no problem if i can think of anything else i will let you know i can give you the part numbers if you give me the version code or serial number
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Have not received response from "reply to expert" and now notice my question status is "closed"
DID YOU TRY USING THE HEAT GUN?
CAPS?? Yes I did. I sent you a reply with more information yesterday.
i dont think i got it.
I tried a hair dryer on the Y & Z sustain plus buffers boards and the mainboard. I also tried lightly tapping the heatsinks on the Y& Z boards and the mainboard to see if it would blank out but nothing worked. It is still working flawlessly but I'm afraid as soon as I put the cover on and the 20 some odd screws it will act up agian. Also, after installing the new smps it fired up the video (white noise) which I thought had remedied the problem but shortly after installing a laptop to the HDMI port it wavered and faded to black. I then uplugged the laptop from the HDMI port believing this might be the issue but after restarting the tv is was black agian. When I say black, it is just slightly lighter than in the off position so something is on but just not all the way.
Now I can't get it to quite working to diagnose/ eliminate possible defective components :)
TYPICALLY A PROBLEM LIKE THIS YOU WOULD REPLACE THE Y BUFFERS AND/OR THE Y SUS. I AM ASSUMING THAT YOU PULLED UP THE MENU SO THAT YOU KNOW IT IS ON JUST NO VIDEO. YOU COULD ALSO TRY DISCONNECTING THE Y SUS PCB AND CLEANING THE RIBBONS WITH A PENCIL ERASER. SOMETIMES OVER TIME THEY BECOME CONTAMINATED.