TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Greetings, I have a Sony 62 inch television. It stop playing…

Customer Question
Greetings, I have a Sony...
Greetings, I have a Sony 62 inch television. It stop playing (wouldn't show a picture nor sound overnight) One night it was working fine. The next morning it wouldn't turn on. Do you have any idea of what the problem could be and will it be expensive to get it repaired? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
TV Technician: Chuck Williams, Technician replied 8 years ago
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician

Hi!

Does the TV click on and then click back off or is it totally dead?

If it clicks on then clicks back off, does the front panel red light flash?

If so, how many times does it flash before it pauses then flashes again, or does it flash continuously?

Chuck

Okay, sorry for the delay...

The tv was unplugged... when I plugged it up ... it clicked on and then the red panel blinked twice... at that point it froze... when I hit the power button nothing happened, but the red light is still on (no flashes)

And if you press the TV's MENU button (not a cable or satellite menu), do you get the Sony menu to come on screen?

Chuck

Nothing happens... there is no picture or screen or anything showing

Gee, that's very odd.

Sony TV's of this type make the red light on the front flash for about 30 seconds when you first turn it on, and if everything is working, it stops flashing and stays on and the picture is on screen.

So, you're saying the red light is on constantly, but absolutely no on screen display?

Chuck

Correct....

I have scheduled for some technician I found off the internet to come on Tueseday as well as Sears to come on July 8. This was really a nice tv so I do want it repaired/up and running, but I don't want to pay an arm and leg again for it...

Both techs said a $100 fee to look at...Does it appear to be a picture tube (if that even exists) or something that would require minimal money and time to repair.

No, I highly doubt that it's a picture tube. Your set has three tubes, and I seriously doubt that any of them ios the problem.

If you press the Flash Focus button, can you see the flash fiocus procedure happening?

Chuck

Flash focus button pressed - nothing happens

I just came across this item at the Sony tech web site:

>>During power up sequence, the Timer/Stby LED flashes steadily. Once the picture comes up the LED will go out, except if the Timer is set. If the Timer is set the Timer/Stby LED will remain ON.<<

But I reaslly doubt that this is your problem.

If the set stays on and the front LED doesn't blink,but you still get no picture, that almost always means that the TV is not that broken. If it was really broken, the set would shut down and make that front LED flash in sequences.

One last check, I need you to try to check to see if you have high voltage going to the tubes.

Turn the set on, and listen for the high voltage to come up. It should sound like a momentary sizzling sound. Do you hear that?

Chuck

No,All I basicaly hear is a the clicking on of the television... no buzzing or sizzling... just a clicking and that is only when I plug and unplug... If I just push power ... there is nothing happening... the red button (timer/stand by) is just a solid red....

OK, then this sounds like an oddball problem with the power supply in the TV, and if that's all it is, it's worth fixing. If your tech is familiar with Sony CRT sets and has service information, he should be able to determine this in reasonably short order.

But I would not recommend putting any more than about $300 absolute tops into this TV.

Let me know if there's anythning else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Thank you... Do you by any chance recommend technicians.....

I would recommend you simply go to the Sony web site and click on Support. Under Contact Support, you can enter your moidel and zip code, and they will give you the contacts for a local Sony tech.

Chuck