TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a QIP7100 Set top/DVR with FIOS. I also have FIOS for…

I have a QIP7100 Set...
I have a QIP7100 Set top/DVR with FIOS. I also have FIOS for phone, internet as well as cable. Can this box connect wireless to my home network, which is wireless.

Thanks

Steve
6/25/2010
Gina King

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully

Please feel free to re-word your question or add additional information you might feel helpful for the Experts to assist you.
If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
JustAnswer Moderator

Not sure how I can re-word the question. Please answer if you can. Can the Motorola QIP7100 series DVR/set top box connect wireless to my wireless router.

Thank you

TVGURU
TVGURU, Technician
Hi there and thank you for using Just Answer. The short answer to your question is, no, it cannot connect to your wireless router since it does not support wireless connectivity. I have also included in parentheses below a link to Motorola specs for the 7100. The unit supports basic 10/100 Ethernet connectivity. Which I can understand since they cannot always guarantee the quality of service with wireless signals and since we are talking video they probably prefer not to get into that space of Qos questionability. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask after clicking accept if it's related to this topic. Positive feedback and bonuses are also greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Michael (http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Business/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/Set-tops/Hybrid%20QAM-IP%20Set-tops/QIP7100/_Documents/_Static-Files/QIP7100_Datasheet_-_553884-001-a.pdf?localeId=33)

Edited by TVGURU on 6/25/2010 at 12:46 PM EST
TVGURU
TVGURU, Technician

But, with that Motorola QIP and FIOS service, the DVR portion streams to other Motorola non DVR but HD set top boxes on the same network. Should I be asking FIOS?

Thanks

Hi there, in order to stream to other Fios units in your house it will utilize existing RG6 cable runs, assuming they are all dedicated back to one point and not split and your home network of wired connections. I have attached a diagram below that I think will help. Of course calling Verizon will get you their answer but this is how it will work and should be prepared for additional wiring if you house is not set up correctly.

graphic

Thanks. I'll call them as one leg from their splitter is connected to my router. I just upgraded one of the Motorola DVR/HD boxes to the Tivo Premier XL. Verizon had to send a tech to install the cable card. We had two of Motorola DVR/HD boxes in my house and I mentioned only one streamed to three other HD boxes, and mine upstairs did not. He said, it should and to call Verizon tech support. We'll see. Thanks for your help.

Steve

No problem. Thank you for using Just Answer.