TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Father purchased a Toshipa Regza model 26HL47 a couple of…

Customer Question
My Father purchased a Toshipa...
My Father purchased a Toshipa Regza model 26HL47 a couple of years ago. (I don't have receipt with me, but can get it if needed). Serial#: AM387017425.
He has been complaining that it needs to warm up for 20 min or so before it works for quite some time. And then the picture still will go out.
I visited him yesterday and now the picture just won't work. There are lines - colored - and that is it. The sound works fine, though. Is there an issue with the picture on this model? He paid $800 or so for it two years ago (or thereabouts) and it shouldn't be doing this to when it is only two years old. He is on limited income and it was a major purchase for him.
Please let me know what you can do for him.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/24/2010
TV Technician: Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD replied 8 years ago
Flatpanel Guru
Flatpanel Guru, Lead Technician HD

Welcome to Just Answer,

My Name is John,

Sorry to hear about your failure but i hope i can help, i am an authorized toshiba servicer and i will do my best to provide you with a helpful answer.

This set has a few known issues that can cause this issue but they are very expensive to just throw boards at since it could be a major failure, If you want to repair this yourself it would be a guess between which board is causing the issue since without a good 60mhz scope you cant monitor the signal to the siene board to identify if the failure is LVDS or AVS.

I would first recommend you contact Toshiba and throw a fit, remember the squeak wheel gets the grease but the screeching brake gets thrown away... meaning this be annoying but be nice they dont have to do anything for your but if you say on them and call regularly they will offer at least something, but if you get loud and yelling no matter what screaming you do they will eventually refer you to a legal department and blow you off until you get lost in the drain and since they are big you are small a lawsuit is not an option.

So if you can not get anything from Toshiba you may need to bite the bullet and have the estimated for them to help but they require you have the estimate done by a warranty center (dont get scared by the sound they are not a dealership but it just means they have support from the Toshiba and it gives them an advantage of cheaper parts and they can do repairs locally instead of national service) Toshiba will refer you to your local center... they will be able to narrow it down to which board, so then you have a decision if Toshiba will still not cover the cost have them repair it or repair it yourself with the knowledge of what part has failed, but remember you will pay more for the part then them so before declining there repair look up the part yourself (they should provide a part number you can look up at http://www.partstore.com/) and see the cost for you, there dealer cost is cheaper so in some cases part and labor is around the same cost a customer can just get the board.

In my honest opinion you have a chance of repairing this yourself without these steps but since it could be the seine board, video board, Timing control or LVDS connection that have failed. It would be hard to nail down the failure without the proper tools if you are looking for my best guess i would most of the time the failure is the seine board but let is still only a little over half of this model that i see that board being the cause.

The problem is certainly the set itself that is giving you this issue, the telltale is the built in menu, since it is generated locally in the set if it is at all distorted it is the Tv nothing else could cause this.

Toshiba America customer care:800-631-3811

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

If you have any questions please just ask