TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

The electric co. turned off our power this morning to do some…

Customer Question
The electric co. turned off...
The electric co. turned off our power this morning to do some repairs down the street. When the power came back on, the picture keeps flashing about every 30 sec. I have tried unplugging the tv and also pushing the vol. and channel buttons simultaniously as the book instructed. Is there something else I can do? I have a JVC LCD flat screen Model No.LT40X776 Serial no. 15043924 SAA
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/22/2010
TV Technician: ProTV and Audio, Sr Engineering Tech replied 8 years ago
ProTV and Audio
ProTV and Audio, Sr Engineering Tech

Dear JA customer,

Thank you for your Just Answer question.

So that I may further assist you, I need some additional information.

What is the source of the picture, Cable, SAT, other, and how is it connected?

Thanks

sat connected by cable to a dish thanks

Thank you

How is the SAT box connected, HDMI, Component, RF, or other?

Thanks again

I don't know what these mean. We do have HD tv if that is any help. How can I figure out the connection? We do have an HD Digital satellite box.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX HD part is helpful.

An HDMI connection would be a single cable for both video and audio and has a flat rectangular connector on each end, where as Component has 3 separate connectors for the video and two for the audio.

If you are using the HDMI connection, please reboot the SAT box to allow a proper connection to be established, and let me know the results.

I will send the ACCEPT button when you are ready.

Thank you

I guess it would be a component than since it has three connectors. I have already tried resetting the box several times. I don't think it is the sat.

Yes, it would have 3 video + 2 audio, for a total of five wires.

Do you have another source such as a DVD player that can be used as a comparison?

yes
Does the picture blink off every 30 seconds on the DVD too?
I am sorry I went and looked again and the sat box does have a HDMI connection to the tv I am so sorry I will go check the dvd player

That's OK, let me know.

No the, its a blu ray player actually, does not blink at all.
Seems like it closer than 30 sec. now more like every 5 sec now

That's good, that is what I expected. The 5 second interval is the time required to make an HDCP connection through the HDMI.

There are a couple of tests that you can perform. Swap the HDMI and SAT box cables and see if the symptom follows to the other input and vs.

Try this test first.

Repower the TV and SAT box in the order of TV on first, and then power to the SAT box.

Edited by ProTV and Audio on 6/22/2010 at 1:34 AM EST
sorry still flashing

Then in that case I suspect the SAT box. Please call the SAT provider as they may need to down load firmware for the HDCP keys, or exchange the box.

Alternately if you have another SAT box in the house, you could verify with it.

Thank you for using JA, and if you still have a question let me know.

We work on a commission as part of the deposit value, and welcome the opportunity to answer your question. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well as bonuses.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please click ACCEPT, thanks again.

WE do have another box and there is nothing going on in that room The sat co. says it is our tv. So do you think you don't know what is wrong then
Have you switched the boxes?
yes I just switched the boxes and the tv is still blinking.

Thank you for the additional feedback. I will open this question to the forum to allow another Expert the opportunity to answer.

Thank you for using JA

Edited by ProTV and Audio on 6/22/2010 at 2:11 AM EST
ok

Thank you,

You need not reply to this inquiry as I just need to remove it from my list.

Thanks again.