TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

During the storm we had in the San Antonio area on June 6,

Customer Question
a lightning bolt took out...
During the storm we had in the San Antonio area on June 6, a lightning bolt took out my PC, cable modem, thermostat on our electric stove, and my Yamaha HTR- 6140 audio receiver that was providing surround sound for a old Zenith TV . The receiver has stopped working. I can power it up, but none of the controls work and no sound can be heard. I've opened the case and checked the fuse at the power supply board. It's good. Are there any other fuses I can check? And, is it worth having it diagnosed for $50-$100? The MSRS is about $400.
Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/22/2010
TV Technician: TVGURU, Technician replied 8 years ago
TVGURU
TVGURU, Technician
Hi there and thank you for using Just Answer. Unfortunately I believe your receiver is beyond economical repair. The main processor board has most likely suffered irreversible damage which will require replacement. Most likely other parts have been damaged too. These boards can range from $100 - $200 per board. Since you can find good deals on these units online I wouldn't waste the money in my opinion. I am sorry you had to face this unfortunate event. If there is any additional questions related to this topic, please feel free to ask. You can even ask questions about this topic after accepting. Also, positive feedback and bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. Michael.