TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

i recently purchased a sony tv kdl40ex401.It has all been set…

Customer Question
i recently purchased a sony...
i recently purchased a sony tv kdl40ex401.It has all been set up but when you watch it their are lines running down the tv but very discretly.My friend says that if i get a hd box this will not appear anymore is this correct??
thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/21/2010
TV Technician: Chuck Williams, Technician replied 8 years ago
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician

Hi!

For starters, you definitely want an HD box, but only because the picture will be so much better.

But the lines that you have may still be a problem. Are these horizontal lines that move from the bottom of the screen to the top at a slow rate?

Chuck

yes the lines are horizontal that go from top to bottom.thanks

OK, what you have is called a "hium bar," and it's caused by AC voltage on the ground of your cable system. You may see this problem even on a DVD player that's connected to the TV (even though it has nothing to do with the cable).

This is a problem that your cable company should solve for you, but if they seem clueless (a distinct possibility), you can get around the problem by inserting this Ground Isolator in series with the TV cable as it comes out of the wall to the cable box.

But this is really fixing a symptom and not the problem, so the proper fix is to have the cable company address this.

Good luck, let me know if you need more help, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck