TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Hello, I own a JVC televison, I think I bought it in 2003-04.

Customer Question
Hello, I own a JVC televison...

I own a JVC televison, I think I bought it in 2003-04. I have it properly hooked up to my DVD. Recently I put in a dvd and while the picture came up and the background music was on...there was no sound from the actors. I tried another movie...same thing. I have background sound but no actors talking that I can hear. A friend brought over a spare dvd and hooked it up. Same problem.
I am very frustrated at this point. My tv seems to operate just fine but why would two seperate DVD's not function? Makes me think there is a problem with the tv. Any ideas?
Thank you,
Connie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
TV Technician: ProTV and Audio, Sr Engineering Tech replied 8 years ago
ProTV and Audio
ProTV and Audio, Sr Engineering Tech

Dear JA customer,

Thank you for your question.

So that I may further assist you, could you please supply the full model number of your TV?

Also, I have a few more question so that we can narrow down the symptom.

1- How is the DVD connected?

2- Is this a new setup or have you had voice before?

3- Are you using a surround sound system or does the come

from the TV speakers?

Thank you for your Just Answer question and I look forward to your response.

Dear Expert,

Thank you for your quick reply..

To find the model I had to do some athletic stuff to find the darn model number but here it is:

JVC model AV-32D503

It was manufactured in 02/2003

1, How is theDVD connected?

There is a 3 headed connection ( yellow, orange and red) from TV to DVD.

#2. Is this a new setup or have you had voice before?

This is the original setup from the day I brought it into my place and my brother set it up for me. No one has ever come in and changed it. So I have managed to play many DVD's and never ever had any issue with sound until now.

#3 ARe you using a surround sound system or does the sound come from the TV speakers?

Regretfully I never got the surround sound hooked up so I have always used my tv speakers. They appear to work just fine for television use.

Thats it for now.

Thank you

Assuming that you have tried DVD's that the voice worked before, but don't work now on two different players is odd, however, just in case both DVD players are Karaoke players or have the Karaoke capability to play the music track only, check that they are not set in the Karaoke mode for back ground music only or sing along.

Thank you for using JA

We work on a commission as part of the deposit value, and welcome the opportunity to answer your question. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well as bonuses.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please click ACCEPT, thanks again.

Edited by ProTV and Audio on 6/20/2010 at 3:51 AM EST

Dear Expert,

This is very interesting, I have never heard of Karaoke setting on a DVD player before. What gets me, is unless I have gremlins in my house, no one in my house has ever tinkered with my DVD to change any setting, so how is that possible?

What would I look for on the DVD to reset it?

Ok, let's recap here and assume for a moment that the two sources worked on another TV, then we would need to ask why not on your's?

There is a sound setting called "Hyper Surround" located just below the "Sleep Timer" button on the remote control, please turn the Hyper Sound off if it is on. It is possible that the Hyper Sound could create a hole in the sound and lower the voice level; I have not known it to cancel the voice completely, but it is possible.

Thanks again, and please let me know the results.

Edited by ProTV and Audio on 6/20/2010 at 4:44 AM EST

Dear Expert,

Now I am truly depressed. I got very excited when you mentioned the "Hyper Sound" an item I had no idea what it did. I put in a DVD and I could once more hear the background noise and even the sound effects ( which I know are recorded seperately) but once again there was no voices of the actors. Not even when I turned it waaay up.

So back to square one.

Connie

Thank you for the additional feedback. I will open this to the forum to allow another expert the opportunity to answer your question.

Thank you for using JA, and the opportunity to be of service.

Edited by ProTV and Audio on 6/20/2010 at 12:36 PM EST

Thank you

Note: This is not a request for Info, I just need to remove it from my active list.