TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have Plasma 42in, it the TV have been on for 10 minutes or…

Customer Question
I have Plasma 42in, it...
I have Plasma 42in, it the TV have been on for 10 minutes or so it starts a buzzing noise from the back, any ideas what this may be & how much will it cost to repair ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/19/2010
TV Technician: Chuck Williams, Technician replied 8 years ago
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician

Hi!

What you probably have is a noisy transformer on the power supply board.

Does this buzzing get louder on bright scenes and less on dark scenes?

Chuck

No it just does it all the time, if you turn the TV off form 20 minutes it starts again within minutes

OK, all plasma TV's do make a buzzing sound to some degree, and it's actually worse at high altitudes above sea level (like Denver). But it shouldn't be so loud as to make the set unwatchable, and I'm guessing this set didn't always do this, correct?

I'm pretty sure that what you have is a noisy transformer on the power supply board in the TV, and I would expect the board to cost in the $200 range, plus probably another $170 to have a tech come out and replace it.

If you have some electronics experience and feel comfortable opening up the back, you might be able to replace this part yourself. You would probably also need a voltmeter. Let me know if you'd like to try.

And let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck