TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

hello..i have a westinghouse 42 inch tv and i would like to…

Customer Question
hello..i have a westinghouse 42...
hello..i have a westinghouse 42 inch tv and i would like to hook up my pc to the tv to see movies...i purchased a vga cable and i am getting a no signal reply in my television. should i be looking for some other type of wire to make the connection?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/19/2010
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to the site,

Initially, postback the model number of the TV and the computer.

Offhand, if both the PC and the TV has VGA ports, then the VGA cable should work. A couple of considerations:
  • depending if the computer is a laptop, then the Fn + F? keys would have to be pressed a couple of times to cycle through the choices of: laptop display only, laptop + TV; TV only. The F? key would be one of the functions keys with TV/monitor icon;
  • if it were a desktop with dual VGA or DVI+VGA, the external monitor (TV) would have to be enabled in the Display Properties of the computer;
  • depending on the model of the TV, the Screen Resolution and Screen Refresh Rate of the computer would have to be lowered. Both would be about in the Display Properties likewise.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 6/19/2010 at 12:58 AM EST