TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Am trying to connect a DVR but appear to have numerous obsticles.

Customer Question
The equipment involved is: 1)...
Am trying to connect a DVR but appear to have numerous obsticles. The equipment involved is: 1) A samsung series 6 LCD TV Model LN 40A6501F 2) a Comcast Motorola Cable Box 3) a pioneer HDD/DVR Recorder DVR 660 H-S

Have read the manual and was able, at one point to get a good HDMI hookup to play DVs but not record. At another stage, I was able to get an AV2 hookup which demonstrated in black and white but no color, the home menu for recording but unable to record.

Various messages from the TV have been 1) with the AV2 "This signal's TV system is different from the recorders" and 2) with the HDMI "Mode not supported" What do these mean??

My skill level is such that all this baffles me so after several days of "experimenting", I had a Comcast tech here today for over one hour who appeared to know less that me!!

Cheers....Chet
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/18/2010
TV Technician: Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center replied 8 years ago
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Hello JA Customer
I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old
With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business
You CANT hook up a DVR by HDMI
HDMI was designed so you could not record the siganl from it
so dont
use component jacks instead
hook to component 1 or 2 on the samsung tv

Sorry for the delay...I now have bought and connected component cables and am getting the same resonse: "Mode not supported"...what does this mean and what do I do next??
Did you select the component input on the tv?
can you play a dvr show?
or watch tv on component ?
Yes, I selected the component input on the TV but I cannot play a DVR show or watch TV through the component. I watch TV through the TV input but do not get recognition of the DVR
Have not received response to the above additional information requested
you set the tv to ch 3 or ch 4 ?
on ANT ?
and you get nothing?
I set the TV to channel 3 in order to watch television but when shifting to the component cables, the response if as mentioned above: "Mode not supported"
What resolution is the DVR set at?
check the settings in the comcast menu