TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am getting a very odd picture signal on my VT470. Easier…

Customer Question
I am getting a very...
I am getting a very odd picture signal on my VT470. Easier to show in a picture that I took of the TV, but I was wondering what could cause this issue and what it would take to fix it. It does not happen all the time but when it does it lasts from 5 min to all day. Then it could be working fine for a day oor two, then it happens again.

Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/18/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Can you post a picture of this to me? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

I purchased the unit only about 2 months ago, but was told it was new open box. Turned out to be more than that. Since it was not purchased from a Vizio authorized dealer, they will not do warranty work. If you want more images, I have a couple more. This happens on any input. If you have any other questions let me know.

Thank yougraphic

If you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show clear and normal or is it affected by this problem as well?

Tim

It is affected as well. Also just realized that the model of the TV was a SV470M not the VT470. But, no the menu is not clear.graphic

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this televisions and it will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $350

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

I do have some test equiptment and was wondering what my first steps are. If you could let me know some of the things to test I can try them.

Thank you

The first thing we would need to do is to check the power supply for bubbled capacitors. Open it up and check them out, if you do not know what you are looking for you can post a picture of the power sup to me and I will inspect it for you.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Tim

I won't be able to work on it tonight, but one other thing I noticed is that it happens less when we have the "smooth motion" (120 hz) turned on. Does that help in narrowing down what it might be?

Not necessarily, it could still be anything...bad thing is it might very well be the panel or the main causing it which are not cheap...

Tim

I will check the power supply when i get a min tomorrow and let you know. thank you

ok sounds good.

Tim