TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

i have a 62

Customer Question
" projection samsung TV about...
i have a 62 " projection samsung TV about 5 yrs old. The lamp light finally started blinking and i lost the picture , so i decided to order a new lamp. It cost me $160. and after i put it in i get a buzzing sound with no picture. I read that the cover needs to be put on right otherwise it won't work. What else can i do? Because, i know i put the lamp in ok. Who can i get that can repair it at a reasonable cost? I have not tried to do it over again however, am certain i did it right the first time.       I have come back from taking it out and putting the lamp back in. It comes on by itself when i turn the power on . It has the same constant heavy buzz sound then it gets a little higher then once again higher. It also shuts itself off then turns itself on again and again until i take the power away. I can not shut it off from the turn on button located on the center bottom of TV. No control of on and off. It does it on its own. Hope this helped. Waiting for answer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/17/2010
TV Technician: Steve, Technician replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Technician

Hello, please post the full "Model Code" found on the back of the TV? If you see a separate label with a "Version number," that would be helpful as well.

Have there been any other repairs done to the TV?

Can you describe the buzzing sound? Is it a high pitched sound? Does it start and stop several times while the TV is trying to turn on?

Model HLP6163W SVC Model HLP6163WXlXAA Manufactured 2004 L62BAT61L3

SER. No. 39763CEXB02057B
Okay, thank you. Is this a high pitched "whine" type of sound that is continuous? I understand it is very tough to describe a sound in email!
The sound is a constant heavy buzzing sound. There have not been any repairs.
Okay, thank you. Please allow me a short time to compile some information for you. Perhaps 30 minutes or so...
I just took out the new lamp and will list the code # XXXXX(P120W)
Hi, thank you for waiting. Without being able to hear the sound, it is possible that the noise you are hearing is coming from the lamp ballast while trying to fire the lamp. It is possible, but not very likely, since you have installed the correct, original lamp in your TV (a good choice).

The most likely cause for the sound you are hearing and the problem you are seeing is a bad color wheel in the light engine. The sound begins when the color wheel motor begins to seize. If the motor does not spin fast enough it will eventually shut down the set (hopefully) to keep the color wheel from shattering (it has to spin to stay cool). This is a very common problem in Samsung DLP TVs. The increase in pitch also indicates the color wheel trying to reach the correct speed.

If you are comfortable working inside the TV, the color wheel can be checked before ordering the part: If you were to remove the color wheel to inspect it (with the TV unplugged), it should be intact and spin very freely. Any resistance you feel while spinning the color wheel will make the noise. Please use caution: the "glass" is very fragile.

Here is a photo of the color wheel used in your set:

graphic

Very good instructions (and a video) about how to remove/replace the color wheel can be found at these two links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx4pbNjsxfU&feature=related

http://www.jangro.com/electronics/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

The instructions are not necessarily exact to your model, but it is basically just screws and a few connectors.

The replacement color wheel assembly is part number: BP96-00674A and can be found at http://www.encompassparts.com/ for $140.00. Please be cautious if ordering a less expensive color wheel from one of the many discount part suppliers. Some of the less expensive color wheels may be of questionable quality, and some may not work at all(!). I probably don't have to mention this, since you were wise enough to buy the original lamp. Smile

Here is a link to the part page:

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=5933777&smodel=HLP6163W

If you wish to have a technician replace this, the labor should be in the $150-200 range (in my area) if the TV is taken in to the shop. Please add a trip charge if repaired in the home.

If needed, you nearest Samsung authorized servicer can be found by entering your information on this page:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do

I hope this helps; but, please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.

graphic
View Full Image

Here is a link to the part page:

* Please remember to click ACCEPT to release the deposit and please consider a BONUS; I will receive a portion and it is the ONLY way I am paid. Thank you and have a Blessed Day!