TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

on my sony wega bigscreen projection tv the red stand-by light…

Customer Question
on my sony wega bigscreen...
on my sony wega bigscreen projection tv the red stand-by light keeps flashing and I do not have picture or sound. What is wrong with it

model KP-46WT520
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/16/2010
TV Technician: Chuck Williams, Technician replied 8 years ago
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician

Hi!

How many times does it flash before it pauses then flashes again, or does it flash continuously?

Chuck

9 times then repeats

OK, what you have is a problem in the TV's power supply, and it's specifically the circuit called the "Zero Cross Detector." This circuit only allows the TV to switch on when the AC input cycle crosses zero volts, thus eliminating much of the sudden in-rush of current when the unit is first turned on.

But this circuit has caused much more grief than it was ever designed to prevent, in my opinion.

The Sony service web site lists a few specific components in this circuit that usually causes the problem, but it's no guarantee.

But if you are comfortable taking the set apart and can solder and unsolder electronic components, you might be able to replace these and fix it yourself.

Another possibility is to remove the power supply (called the G Board) and send it to PTS Corp. to be serviced or buy a new board.

Otherwise, of course, you're going to have to call a tech. If you decide to do that, try to get a Sony tech who already knows this info, and he should know exactly what to do.

Hope that helps, let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck