TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an LG 37 inch LCD HD TV. It stopped responding to all…

Customer Question
I have an LG 37...
I have an LG 37 inch LCD HD TV. It stopped responding to all remotes including its own. There is nothing blocking the front of the TV and the batteries in the remotes seem fine. What might have happened?

If you are going to tell me the IR receiver went bad, then I already guessed that and your "expertise" is not worth it. Especially since it has taken so long and I still have to answer from you.

Nevermind. Answers come too slowly and nothing was helpful so far anyway.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/16/2010
TV Technician: Allen, Technician replied 8 years ago
Allen
Allen, Technician

Hi

Test the original remote with the procedure below.

If you have a digital camera, camcorder or camera phone you can test the remote to see if it is emitting a signal. Face the remote towards the lens of the digital unit until you can see the front of the remote. Depress any button on the remote. You should see a light (steady, blink or flashing) being emitted from the remote.

If the original is dead then it would need to be repaired or replaced.

Also if the other remotes are not using the correct code , this could be why they are not working.

I know that the remotes are all working since they all control devices other than the TV. I reprogrammed the other remotes to make sure they were still set on the LG control code. That did not help. The TV still does not respond even to the original remote. Looks to me like the IR receiver in the TV is no longer working. Is there any way to reset it, or does it just need to be fixed/replaced. If so, how often do these IR receivers go out? This LCD TV is just over 1 year old. Hate to think that the IR receiver has such a short lifetime.

There is no reset for the IR sensor. It is very rare for the sensor to go out.

If you give me the model number ,I can see if I can find a part number.

You might want to remove the back and look at the connections from the

ir sensor to the main board. Make sure connectors are all plugged in proper.