TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Rear Projection TV 65869 that I use nearly 100% for…

Customer Question
I have a Rear Projection...
I have a Rear Projection TV 65869 that I use nearly 100% for occasional DVD watching in a basement custom built Theater.
The tv just started to get a rainbow effect on the right side, maybe 1/16-1/8 inch wide just at the edge. This happens only in lighted scenes, not dark.
Is there an easy fix for this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/16/2010
TV Technician: Chuck Williams, Technician replied 8 years ago
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician

Hi!

It's not really an easy fix unless you know how to solder and unsolder electronic components.

You have a defective convergence output IC, and it has to be replaced.

If you are handy with electronics and can solder and unsolder electronic components, you might be able to fix this yourself. I can give you some pointers if you feel comfortable doing this.

If you decide to call a tech, give him the make and model number, tell him what you told me and that you suspect a convergence output IC failure. He should immediately know exactly what to do, what parts to bring, and be able to fix it in your home in a little over an hour. Cost should be in the $300 range, depending on where you live.

Good luck, let me know if you need anymore information regarding this issue, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Chuck
I have no problem soldering and unsoldering stuff. I used to build Heathkits.
Can you point me towards what needs to be replaced and where to get the new part, then I can decide?
Thanks a million
Your Friend from Ellicott City, Maryland
Chris Weber
2001 Diane Lane
Ellicott City, MD 21042 (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Chris, are you one of my old customers from when I was back in DC?? Your name does sound familiar!

Take the front and back off of the set. The speaker grill just pulls off, and there is an access panel you'll take off. In the back there is a baffle board that slides in diagonally that you can pull out to give you more room vertically and make working on this easier.

You will be removing the center PC board, and the part you will be replacing is on the large heat sink behind the green tube. The part number of these IC's is STK393-110.

You have to remove a plastic brace that gives the input jack panel strength. Then you have to find all of the Phillips screws that secure the board. Some are around the edge, but a couple are in the area around the power transformer, and two secure the heat sink, which has the STK chip that you will replace. The STK's are held to the heat sink with a horizontal bar that's held in with three screws, so remove that, too.

Now you have to pry up the white edge connectors that connect this board to the adjacent boards. They can be a bit stubborn, use the tip of a flat blade screwdriver to help do this.

Disconnect all of the connectors that go to various plugs on the board. They can only go back one way, so you don't have to pay close attention to which one goes where.

Once you've done all the above, you will see there are some plastic tabs on the front of the plastic tray that the boards are mounted on. You should be able to push on those and have the board come out easily. Do not force it, it will come out with no resistance if you have all the screws out.

You can order the STK chip from MCM Electronics by that STK number.

Then just unsolder the old STK, install the new one and carefully solder them in, and make sure the new IC's have sufficient heat sink compound on the back of them (available at Radio Shack), reassemble it, and you should be good to go.

When you reassemble it, pay attention to the white edge connectors that you pried up. When you push them back, many times not all of the pins will reseat properly. Run your finger across the tops of the connectors. If one pin didn't seat, you'll feel it immediately.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck
We typed to one another years ago and then you moved. But you never came here to "do what you do" to the Mits sets. I think I'll pass on this job because my left arm has RSD and is not the best "helper". But thanks for your input. The money was well spent. I'll let you know how it turns out. My email [email protected]
You don't think this a BluRay Player thing?

No, it's defintiely not a Blu-ray issue. If you press the MEU button on the TV, the menu has the problem too, correct? If so, it's definitely the TV.

Best of luck to you!

Chuck

Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Thanks Chuck

Best of luck to you, Chris!

Chuck

Chuck, Is it important I fix this ASAP or can it sit until it gets worse. As I said in my original post the problem is only at the very right edge, during strong black/white contrast. (I have no button MEU but I do have MENU. Is there a difference?) I already got the IC.

Are there any adjustments after replacing the IC?

Chris, sorry, I did mean MENU. And it probably won't hurt to use it this way for a while, but the IC could deteriorate and blow a fuse in the power supply, so sooner is better than later.

Once you have the new IC installed, all you'll need to do is touch up your user convergence in low def and high def.

Chuck

Can you describe how I touch up user convergence in low def and hi def

Thanks a million

Chris

Chris, just receive low def, click MENU, go to SET UP, go to CONVERGENCE, select RED, follow the on screen instructions, repeat with BLUE.

Repeat with an HD signal.

Chuck