TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

cant play a DVDscreen says

Customer Question
can't play a DVD screen says...
can't play a DVD

screen says "loading" and then "No Disc"

my TV/DVD/VCR Combo model # XXXXX XXXXX

never use to have a problem playing a DVD

VHS works just fine

how do i get my answer?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/16/2010
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to the site,

Initially, the described symptom indicates that the laser lens is unable to detect much less read the DVD disc loaded. While this could be caused by a weak laser reader, it could also be caused by dust particles or dirt.

Offhand, the only easy user doable try of a fix is to clean the inside of the DVD drive (with the tray open) using a can of compressed air. Thereafter, the laser lens would have to be cleaned with the use of a DVD drive cleaner.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 6/16/2010 at 7:28 AM EST

i tried using the compressed air in a can, i attached the little plastic tubing and held the end of the tubing near the opening of the DVD.....gave several short bursts of air

tried to play a DVD...same message "loading" and then "no disc"

so i tried the compressed air again

still no luck

so i tried Memorex OptiDisc....i inserted the disc, message said "loading" and then "no disc"

so now what do i do?

If cleaning was not corrective, then it would most likely be a failed laser pickup.

Due to cost and replacement parts availability, a workaround maybe considered by adding an external DVD player.

Edited by Benimur on 6/16/2010 at 8:44 PM EST

wow, i don't like that answer

you can't help me fix it then

Perhaps another member could offer an alternate approach to your concern. I have opted out.

Again, good luck with the Polaroid.

This is not an Info Request.

Edited by Benimur on 6/17/2010 at 2:05 AM EST
Relist: can i try another expert?.
can i try another expert?