TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Vizio 42 HDTV Plasma...Video sync went out and then wouldnt…

Customer Question
Vizio 42 HDTV Plasma...Video sync...
Vizio 42 HDTV Plasma...Video sync went out and then wouldnt power up...just replaced video board and it worked for about 15-30 minutes...What else do you suspect?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/16/2010
TV Technician: Rick williams, Technician replied 8 years ago
Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Hello friend, Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, So please don't Accept my answer unless you are satisfied, Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your question?

Have you measured any high voltages?

have you any Television electronics experience? if not A family/friend with electronics skills that can help you out.

Do you have a meter and Tools?

Are to trying to repair your Self?

Just know what to say to the tech, so time isn't a problem in repairs?

Thanks Rick for trying to help me out. I have a electronics background and feel I can fix it my self (or order a new board) if I can get help to isolate the problem. I have not made any measurements as I dont know where to start but I do have a meter.

The pitcure lost its video sync and all I had on the screen was a bunch of vertical color lines. Then after it ran for a few minute the power would shut off. Before I replaced the main video board, I could get the power to stay on. Thanks for your assistance. -Tom

So your saying it played with old board please check connections,, And simply we have to check it with the old card,, At least it worked correct,, check all voltages as the Panel should suggest,, VS VA VSCAN,, if all are present and in tolerance your Logic board is bad,, or a bad connection when now it doesnt start,,, read below for plasma technology carefully,,

(Please click on high lighted words) this is my sample may not be the same model but doesn't matter the technology is the same.

Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage the positive end on every connector that says a voltage and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the voltage is present at the VS, VA, V-scan, According to the Label. Also if a voltage is missing remove each board from the power supply to make sure they are not holding down the voltage If you don't find one that's trying to climb, or shows close to what it should be, another method is to locate a short circuit place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem. You can unplug each board one at a time, Starting with the Y-SUS then the Z-SUS.

Friend this is a very common problem with plasma. Within the power supply the capacitors

Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top.

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones

Normally the parts for this unit is a LOGIC BOARD, this is what most manufacturers would want you to do, purchase them. But go to high lighted words and go through all the voltage checks to find the bad part, here is also a chart that should help a lot, also this is a picture that will help with identity.

Well Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Thanks Simplified click here