TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Tv cuts off right after remote control is engaged

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/15/2010
TV Technician: Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair replied 8 years ago
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Hi JA Customer,

I'm sorry no one has responded sooner. What is the complete model number of the TV? When the TV cuts off, do you have any power indication on the power light, such as blinking or a different color?

Thanks,
Model number is XXXXX We unplug the TV and plug it back in and the indicator light will come on when turned on and immediately go off again. To get it to reset we have to unplug the TV again.
HiCustomer

Remotely its hard to tell you what specifically is wrong with your TV, it will take some diagnostics to determine the fault. You have done, about all that you can. The most common failure in Picture Tube (CRT) TVs is the horizontal output (high voltage) section. Some TV's derive other voltages from the horizontal output section. Also, TVs are now designed to go into protective mode shutdown if a circuit fails, to prevent any further damage to the TV.

A service estimate will run about $45-$75, depending on your location. The estimate charge will apply towards labor for repairs should you decide to have it repaired. A horizontal output failure runs about $300-$250, labor included. If the flyback transformer is also a problem (a major component of the horizontal output section) it will be about $60 more. Usually its just a transistor and some associated parts.

Thanks,