TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I am currently in the market for a 46 LCD TV. Sony and Samsung…

Customer Question
I am currently in the...
I am currently in the market for a 46" LCD TV. Sony and Samsung seem to be the favorites of everyone I ask. Sony seems to produce a more realistic picture. The more I research the more confused I become. Sony has so many models, it is difficult to differenciate between them. I would ideally like to spend between 1000 and 1300 dollars. I don't know if the 240 refresh rate is twice as good as the 120 or if it is even noticeable, especially given the difference in price. The area we will be using the set is out of direct sunlight. We will most likely be using our home hi fi system for sound. Warranty? Best Value? Proven Classic?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/15/2010
TV Technician: euro-pro llc, Technician replied 8 years ago
euro-pro llc
euro-pro llc, Technician

I will try to help you with this question.

I would say that the 240Hz is NOT double the refresh rate for the 120Hz!!

The panels on the 240Hz units are actually still 120Hz panels!-but the 240Hz is achieved by manipulating the backlights!-it is like the digital zoom on a camera-fake!

You should be just fine with a 120Hz panel(the money difference is just not worth it ,in my opinion.

Also I definitely recommend Samsung over the Sony!

Their technologies is way above the Sony!

Samsung is leading the LCD market already 4 years in a row.

Sony have a lot more issues than Samsung.

Plus,starting this year Sony tvs are using Samsung panels(like most other manufacturers!)

From a warranty standpoint they are both the same-one year parts and labor.

Service support-Samsung rules!

Models variety.about the same,sit Samsung being better on the top end models(more choices!)

Overall I would recommend Samsung over Sony.

Buy an extended warranty if you are offered one from seller,or you can buy straight from the manufacturer.

It is very helpful when the tv breaks(usually soon after the manufacturer warranty runs out!)

Also Samsung is cheaper to repair,due to the high amount of tvs sold,and replacement parts being widely available!

I hope this helps,

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Thank you and have a great day!

OK with that said - is there "an old reliable" best seller 46" Samsung that you would reccommend? We are Apple imac people and we enjoy Netflix

Here is a 40" Samsung TV ,Netflix ready:

http://www .bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~cabcat0100000%23%234%23%23wu~~cabcat0101000%23%237%23%236d~~cabcat0101001%23%230%23%233j~~f312%7C%7C4c434420466c61742d50616e656c~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~f874%7C%7C4e6574666c6978~~nf862%7C%7C53616d73756e67&list=y&nrp=15&sc=TVVideoSP&ks=960&usc=abcat0100000&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01

or a very good model for the 46" you are looking for is:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9783685.p?id=1218173773690&skuId=9783685

Also if you want to spend more,you can get the LED backlight tvs like:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+240Hz+/+3D+LCD+HDTV/9954002.p?id=1218200365690&skuId=9954002

This is very good tv set,but is not in the price range you are looking for,there fore my recommendation will still be the LN46C670.

I hope this helps,

Thank you,

Please,accept my answer if you are satisfied and will be able to leave a positive feedback,otherwise,please let me know how can I improve my service.

Thank you. Is it safe to assume the 4 year warranty vs the 2 year warranty is a better value and what accessories do i need and which would you recommend Cables etc.

Yes,the warranty is very important!

As accessories,I would get the Samsung lan adapter-this way you can stream to your tv wireless!

http://www.bestb uy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=1837696126869023101&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=samsung+adapter&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Also I would get HDMI cable for bluray or computer hook up.

Do not get the very expensive ones,a minimum 1.3 HDMI should be just fine.Please see below:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+6'+High-Speed+HDMI+Cable/9660825.p?id=1218140708233&skuId=9660825&st=hdmi%20cable&contract_desc=null

This would be all I would get,of course,based on the configuration the tv will work in(wall mount,amplifier,etc) you may want to get an optical cable for audio hook up between the tv and the amplifier:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+4'+Digital+Optical+Audio+Cable/9543782.p?id=1218121949255&skuId=9543782&st=optical%20cable&cp=1&lp=3

Thank you

Excellent. Thank you. I am purchasing the TV today with much confidence. Thanks for the assistance. One more question for you. If you were to step up one more Samsung 46" model LCD for another couple hundred bucks - which model would it be?

Thank you!

I would go with the LED backlight the LN46C750,the one I indicated as the last one on the prior post.

It is more expensive,but It is well worth it,the picture on these LED backlight tvs is awesome!

Thank you again,and have a great day!

I'm sorry - you lost me. The LN46C750 appears to be a LCD 240 3D TV, not a LED. I also asked if you were to spend another 2 or 3 hundred bucks, which set would you move up to, not another 1000 dollars as the Best Buy site indicated. Thank you for claifying.
Haven't got a response to my last question. I can not wait much longer. It has certainly has been longer than the estimated time. Please respond asap please. I must leave my computer.

Sorry,I mistake it for the UN series!-the UN(not LN)46C7000 and all other UN series are all LED backlight.

These are the ones I would buy,and recommend at most!

Please see here the samsung site,but shop around for this,amazon or newegg.com may have better deals on these tvs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/led-tv/index.idx?pagetype=subtype

Thank you

The website undergo maintenance every day about this time,

The posts are delayed because of this.

I hope you received the reply,it does show that it was received (on my interface).

Please,let me know if you did not get it,I will gladly reply again.

Thank you