TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

my projection TV turns off by itself after turning it on. re

Customer Question
search tells me to replace...
my projection TV turns off by itself after turning it on. re search tells me to replace all the IC STKs to solve this problem. Is this correct?

if this correct, where do i find the IC STKs in my 50UX22B projection TV? i do not see them anywhere inside~ really appreciate some help.

here's a pic of the part I cannot find inside my TV
http://www.partstore.com/Part/Matsushita/Panasonic/STK4274/New.aspx
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
6/8/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 7 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Why do you think you have bad STK's?

-Have you done any troubleshooting?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your help.

I surfed the internet and found others who have had the same problem. Solutions given referred to the IC STK's. I do not know for sure if they are the problem and I can not find them inside the TV. The only thing I have checked is the fuse near power cord an it looks okay.

When I turned the TV on, it tured itself off. Then I would to turn it back on, and it turned itself off again. Eventually the TV stayed on. Every time I turned it on, it behaved in the same manner and now, when I turn it on it turns on & off and will not turn on at all.

I'm hoping I can fix it myself with your help. What do you think the problem is?

Felecia

Hi Tim,

How come I have not heard from you? Did you get my reply from last night? I'm trying to be patient... I would not be wondering if I had not received a message from justanswer.com that if I did not hear back from you in 14mins, they would assign my question to another tech. I thought ... Wow... 14 mins. Well, it's been 14 hours and I haven't heard from you or anyone else. Can you please let me know if you can help me or not.

Thanks,
Felecia

Felecia,

Sorry we lost power last night right around the time I sent you that message and I had to work all day today so I just got back, I am sorry for the delay.

I am happy to help you further.

That part you are looking at is a convergence IC (there are three of them in your model) which is a common problem on your model however it would be very uncommon for them to cause a dead set. They normally will cause a distorted picture with a double vision look.

There are some LED light on the circuit boards in the tv, what are these lights doing when you try to turn it on?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I did not think I was going to hear back from you.

I think I have solved the problem. I surfed the internet some more, and followed a lead on STR-M6511. I stumbled accross a suggestion to check the fuse near the 2 biggest caps in the power supply area. I took the fuse out and inspected it. Looks fine. Used canned air to clean the area and put the fuse back in. Then I decided to plug the TV in to see if it would come on and stay on. Much to my suprise, it turned on and stayed on. So perhaps, the inside of the TV needed a little cleaning.

Felecia

It is possible that your cleaning fixed it. However, your problem sounds like a bad solder joint-most likely somewhere in the power supply, a component mounted to a heatsink.

Hopefully the problem doesn't return, but if it does I would start looking for this. If you need anything further let me know-I would be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Tim

I am not going to accept your answer because you did not answer in time. 14+ hours was no where near 14 mins! Because I did not hear from you, I went back to the drawing board and searched the internet and solved the problem!

Turns out, the problem seemed to be the TV need cleaning. I found another fuse near the power supply, removed it, inspected it, used canned air to blow out the dust, re-installed the fuse, plugged the TV in and turned it on. The TV stayed on and did not turn off and is currently still functioning.

Thanks for trying to help me but your reply came too late!

Felecia

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician