Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician
Experience:  20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE
10191312

My flat screen tv has fuzzy picture on all channels. We have

Customer Question

My flat screen tv has fuzzy picture on all channels. We have tried connecting at different houses and it is still the same. We did connect a portable satellite dish to this tv before this problem started. Did we mess it up. Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 7 years ago.

Hello friend, Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, So please don't Accept my answer unless you are satisfied,

Can you isolate the issue, place a DVD player in all inputs and tell me if its the same problem,, If not its the dishes format

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You mean try to play a dvd
Yes. and tell me what the picture looks like
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the dvd has good audio but no signal , picture
when menu is pressed does it show,, what happen to fuzzy picture,, we aren't getting anywhere
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When menu is pressed does it show what?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do get a perfect picture with the dvd. it must be the setting messed up by the dish, is that something i can adjust or does it have to go in for repair?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HAVE I run out of money???? i have not had an answer

it may be the input your using,, high def should be component or HDMI,, also the cable box may be set for a low definition,, not sure about your box,, but your tv is ok,, contact provider
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have tried different inputs at different houses (different cable providers)makes no difference. my only question to you is there settings internally that could have gotten messed up when the tv was connected to the dish?
No,, and strange as it sounds if the dvd plays perfect then it is the providers,, the tv shows whats being sent to it,, a dvd player sends a high def picture this is why its clear,, and the provider should send a high def picture also,, IF ITS A HIGH DEF BOX AND COMPONENTS OR HDMI ARE BEING USED
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The only reason I am having trouble with your answer is because It does not work at someone else's house that has hd cable, and their tv works fine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The only reason I am having trouble with your answer is because It does not work at someone else's house that has hd cable, and their tv works fine. So, does that mean you can't use a hd tv with a non hd cable?

Exactly,, you can use it but as you know the picture will not be as clear,, if its a hd box and you used component in puts or HDMI it should be clear,, as long as your not on a zoom setting,, double check your settings make sure your not on zoom..

I hope this is clear to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could it be a bad tuner
Yes,, but this is the last resort,, I needed to know that you were confident in settings inputs,, and once we have crossed that road,, yes it has to be the tuner,, my problem is it plays good with the tuner on dvd?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It plays good with the tuner on dvd. I don't know what the zoom setting is.
Ok my point exactly,, this isn't a tv problem,, And i do hope you see this,, it is the cable box or settings through the cable box,, contact them and make sure the formats are correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was not the input. FYI it was the tuner. I don't think you listened to me when I said we took it and connected it to different cables at different houses. We paid for a repair person to evaluate it and that is what it was. You need to listen to the answers to the questions you ask.

Im happy for you but you really misunderstood the signal is the tuner,, why do you think i wanted the dvd player hooked in this input,, in order to see if it played well,,

This is your answer((It plays good with the tuner on dvd. I don't know what the zoom setting is. ))

and another answer by you

2. I do get a perfect picture with the dvd. it must be the setting messed up by the dish, is that something i can adjust or does it have to go in for repair?

If the dvd was connected to the tuner input i think it wouldn't play well,, So I apologize,, but i think we just confused each other.. I dont think you ever placed the dvd on the bad input for me to know the tuner//main board is bad

Good luck

Edited by Rick williams on 5/26/2010 at 10:44 PM EST
.