TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My remote wont change the channels. It only works to turn

Customer Question
My remote won't change the...
My remote won't change the channels. It only works to turn the volume up or down
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
5/2/2010
TV Technician: Allen, Technician replied 7 years ago
Allen
Allen, Technician

Hi

Can you change the channels from the buttons on the TV?

Are you using the internal tuner of the TV or a cable box or satellite receiver?

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
I tried to on the ty but it goes off air. I have a cable box satellite
You will have to program the cable box. Be sure you are setup with the cable company for expanded basic cable. If you have basic you will only get the local 11- to 13 channels.

Edited by Allen on 5/2/2010 at 5:38 PM EST
So how do I program it?

What type box do you have ?

Is it cable? or Satellite? Which one?

Can you change channels from the buttons on the cable or satellite box?

I have extended cable

If you have extended cable and you are not getting all of the channels then you have a problem with the cable box or it's programming. The number of channels is controlled by the cable box not the TV. The tv is used only a a display device for the cable box.

There are two possibilities on why the remote won't change the channels.

1. The remote may be bad or have a bad keypad which will let some functions work but not others.

2. The cable box has lost it's programming or is set for basic reception only

( this should be resolved by you local cable company, they will usually

replace the box)

If the channels will change from the buttons on the cable box then I would

suspect the remote.

Allen
Allen
Allen, Technician