Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

My Mitsubishi DLP lamp keeps burning out every 6-9 months.

My Mitsubishi DLP lamp keeps burning out every 6-9 months. Is there anything I can do cheaply to fix this--or should I just get a new TV?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 7 years ago.

Hi!

When you turn the TV off, are you using the power button on the TV, or do you have the set's power cord plugged into a cable box or other device that kills the power to the set when you turn it off?

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I turn it off with my Harmony remote, which I guess is the same as turning off the power button. The remote turns the DirecTV box off and my audio system at the same time.

My point is that if the TV is turned off by simply killing the power to the set, that will dramatically reduce the life of the lamp.

When you turn the set off with the off button on the Mits remote or on the set, it makes the cooling fans continue to run until the lamp cools down. Obviously, if you just kill the power to the set, that doesn't happen.

The only other thing that would shorten the lamp life is if the set is installed in a cabinet where it cannot get sufficient ventillation, or if the vent s are clogged with dust.

Let me know if that answers your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I read somewhere that the lamps are a problem with this particular model TV, something about a power module. In fact the company I buy the lamps from included a note that stated I should seek a technician to check the set or they would not honor the 1 yr replacement warranty if the lamp failed.

I disagree. The power supply for the lamp really cannot damage the lamp. It will either light the lamp or it won't , it cannot damage the lamp or shorten its life, and I suspect the company you bought the lamp from is trying to weasel out of giving you a new lamp.

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a fan that cools the lamp, like on a computer CPU, and if there is could this be the source of the problem? Perhaps the fan is to small.

All the fans have sensors on them so that if one fails, the set shuts down.

Chuck