TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

my TV has no picture but I can hear sound

Customer Question
my tv has no picture but i can hear sound
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
3/1/2010
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 7 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

no there is nothing at all visible on the screen it is a mitsubishi vs-5043 i think it is 10 years old. I bought it for 75 dollars yesterday when you turn it on nothing comes up you cant really tell that its on but you can hear everything and the green power light is on

There are a couple of things that can cause this. Please tell me a little more about your situation so I know where to go with my answer.

What kind of information are you looking for? Trying to fix this yourself or get a good idea of what's wrong and what it will cost?

If you are trying to repair this yourself, what kind of electronic repair experience do you have, do you know how to use a meter and solder?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

im trying to go the cheapest route i do know how to use a meter and a solder and but i spend most of my time installing cd players and amps but i dont mind getting into something but if i cant fix it myself i would like a guest a ment on how much it would cost

Let me first give you the warning: If you decide to repair this set yourself you will need to be careful, this set feeds the tubes with tens of thousands of volts and if you are not careful and do not know exactly what you are doing you can be hurt. There are also many different caps in the set that hold a charge and can hurt you as well. In addition I have seen many good people destroy their sets because they did not know what they were doing and either broke a circuit board or damaged some traces causing their sets to never work again. If you decide to go forward please take your time and if you are ever not sure on something please stop and ask me! Its better to take a day or two more to fix your set rather than destroy it

The first thing that I would need you to do is take the speaker grill off the set below the screen, then take the access panel off that is behind that. This will allow you to see into the projection box from the front.

You will see three picture tubes in front of you and hanging off the bottom of them will be three small square circuit boards, behind these circuit boards in the bottom you will see three more circuit boards. The board on the right will be green. I want you to inspect the green board thoroughly for any liquid, you will need a bright flashlight and look carefully, ensure the set is unplugged at this time.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Tim

ok from what i see there is no liquid on the board anthe tubes dont seem to be dammaged only thing out of the ordinary is that the tube on the far right has 4 wires running to the harnes instead of 6 like the other ones they have 2 reds a brown and yellow and 2 blues while the one on the right just has 1 red 1 blue and brown and yellow

Ok now you see the focus block in the front there? There are 6 knobs on it 3 are for screen and 3 are for focus, you need to turn the middle screen one up a little. Do you get anything on the screen?

Tim

yeah i get colors on the screen each one is a different color one blue, one green, one red, but its only a line going across

You get a thin line in the middle going from left to right?

Tim

yea

What we have here is a bad vertical circuit, the vertical output IC will need to be replaced for starters however could be other things bad as well we will not know without changing it.

How are you with soldering?

Tim

im ok not bad at it

Well if you have the equipment then we should start by soldering the bottom of it, we might not need to replace it if we find bad connections.

If you take the back off the set and send me a picture I will circle that IC that I am talking about so you can solder it up.

Tim

ok when u me back are you pretaining to the lower part where the power cord is or the upper box

Yes the lower part.

Tim

graphic

Hey,

Sorry that picture came through so small that I cannot see anything in it, can you try again?

Tim

graphic
is this picture big enough
Relist: Incomplete answer.
answer was incomplete and it took to long
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician