TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Hello, I have the Westinghouse LTV-32W6 HD flat panel TV.

Customer Question
Hello, I have the Westinghouse LTV-32W6...
I have the Westinghouse LTV-32W6 HD flat panel TV. I have had this set for about three years. Everything works fine still except the fact that I have to leave the set on hibernate status (yellow light). If I turn the set off I cannot turn it back on. This happens all the time since about a year now. In order to get it to power back on I have to take the back cover off and I jiggle the connections on the power unit. Not sure if that is where the issue is but it does work somehow. But I would still have to leave it in hibernate status or I will have to do the same process again. Either by unplugging it or turning it off, this is what I have to do in order to get it back on. Also there where two occasions where it smelled like it was burning somewhere inside the set. Can anyone explain what may need to be replaced on this set? Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 3 days by:
2/10/2010
TV Technician: Rick williams, Technician replied 7 years ago
Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

this is a very simple approach.

(Please click on high lighted words)

First push the menu button with the sets remote and if nothing comes up then

Friend this is a very common problem with LCD and also DLP within the power supply the capacitors

Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top.

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones, But also you can have a bad resistor or diode and even a bad regulator. Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage the positive end on every connector that says a voltage and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the unit tries to climb, If you don't find one that's trying to climb, another method is to locate a short circuit, place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem,

Exchange them and you will be ok, Well good luck friend. And if it doesn't work make sure the power supply is sending 24v to the inverters when you turn the set on your meter should climb but won't reach 24v because unit will shut down and if so we ruled out the inverters or back light I seen this problem also caused by the signal board it has a power on command missing and it looks like the power supply is bad but actually it's the signal board, it may be labeled on the board a active high or low 5v which sends the command to the power supply.

Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and or bonus will be appreciated

Capacitor pictures inverter pictures... cold spray can be used if your set works for awhile then shuts down.

.

Rick williams
Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician