TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My television picture is bigger than the screen......for example,

Customer Question
sub-titles are cut off at...
My television picture is bigger than the screen......for example, sub-titles are cut off at teh bottom, etc. I have worked with Direct TV and confirmed that it is not the signal.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
1/15/2010
TV Technician: Mike Trefzer, Installer replied 7 years ago
Mike Trefzer
Mike Trefzer, Installer
Hi there, please post the model number of your Television and your Satellite receiver so I may walk you through this.

TV Model is SHARP Liquid Crystal TV Model # LC 26DV22U S

Receiver is DVR Model # XXXXX

Ok, first, I am including a link to a copy of the manual for your TV. I would like you to pay particular attention to PDF pages 22 and 27 (Manual page numbers 20 and 25). These instructions will help you to set your TVs aspect ratio to 16:9.

Manual

Once you have done this, we will work on adjusting the aspect of the DirecTV receiver.

I adjusted the TV aspect ration to 16:9 and the screen is now narrower....that is to say, there is a vertical border on each side.
Ok, great. Now that you have done that, you should be able to use your DirecTV remote to adjust the format. You should have a format button on the upper left hand side of your remote.
Tried to change the format using the DVR remote.....since the screen is cut off at the bottom, I cannot see the menu to see which commands to use.

If I can't see the on-screen menu, because the viewing screen is truncated, using the remote for the DVR, what should I do?

Ok, I have a couple more things for you to try.

On your DIrecTV Remote, I want you to select Menu. Go to Parental, Favs, and System Setup. You should see a tab labeled HDTV. Select this feature. Within this menu, you can set your TV aspect ratio, and the default Screen Format. Your DirecTV manual will explain these options on pages 77 and 78. (YOUR DIRECTV MANUAL)

If this doesn't work:

Using your TV remote, locate the Zoom button (towards the bottom). Typically this feature only applies to the actual DVD playback, but I want you to press this button and see if it adjusts the picture at all, just to be sure.

Now, if that hasn't resolved your problem, press the View Mode button (towards the top) to toggle between the TV's aspects again.

There are four parts to getting this to work:

1. Set TV format to 16:9. (Completed)

2. Set DirecTV format to 16:9

3. Adjust TV View Mode (Stretch may be your best choice, since your receiver is not HD)

4. Adjust Screen Format on DirecTV. (Set this in Menu options, then use Format button to adjust while watching programming.

Take the steps to adjust the items mentioned above, it has to be one or more of these things causing your augmented picture.

Hi there,

I just wanted to follow up with you to see if my answer was helpful.

If not, please let me know how I may better assist you.

If so, please remember to click Accept. Otherwise, I don't get paid for my services.

Thanks again for using Just Answer!

Have a great day!

Mike Trefzer

Did everything per your last instructions. The top and bottom screen cut offs seem to be fixed (I can see the banners for sports scores, etc). The problem now is that is a bar on each side of the TV screen....ie, the picture is narrower. Working the screen adjustment for the TV does not seem to work (ie, stretch, etc).

I'm not sure, but if the Sat receiver is set to 16:9, it may be producing the bars on the screen. This isn't typical....setting the receiver to 16:9 should be the setting you want.

As a last resort, try setting the Sat receiver back to 4:3, then attempt to use your aspect adjustments for both the TV and the Sat receiver to see if you can find a combination that resolves your issue.

Be patient and persistent...you have all the instructions...you just need to find a combination that works for you. :)

Mike Trefzer
Mike Trefzer, Installer
Mike Trefzer
Mike Trefzer
Mike Trefzer, Installer