TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a 30 year old RCA console TV 25 . I want to keep the

Customer Question
I have a 30 year...
I have a 30 year old RCA console TV 25". I want to keep the cabinet, but dispose of the tube and parts. How do I take it out and get rid of the "inerts"?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: TV
1/13/2010
TV Technician: Joe, Electronic Tech replied 7 years ago
Joe
Joe, Electronic Tech
Take the back off , and the first thing to do is to make sure the picture tube is discharge, it can store 30K volts. The rubber cup that is connected to the CRT (picture tube) needs to be discharge, and the way to do that is to use a long flat head screw driver with a jumper lead connected to the shaft of the driver, and the other end to the chassis, metal part. Now you can slide the screw driver under the cup, without touching and metal part of the TV or the screw driver. That will discharge the CRT. Now it is safe to remove the chassis, and on the chassis, you could have some charged caps, so remove the chassis by just handling it by the edges. Removing the CRT, set a phone book down on the floor, and lay the crt, on the phonebook and the when you remove the four blots holding the crt, it will pop up, so you and someone else can pick it up. good luck.
Joe
Joe, Electronic Tech
Thank you, Joe. Your instructions are very clear!
Thank you and have a nice day.
Joe
Joe
Joe, Electronic Tech