TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Mitsubishi ws 6551 that turns on for a second or two

and shuts off. It seems...
I have a Mitsubishi ws 6551 that turns on for a second or two and shuts off. It seems to go thru the reset at least it flashes for about a minute. I then try the power and it goes on goes off. I have unplugged it for days no luck. I see below i gues the next thing is have the dm module can i check that at home some how or maybe something else?
12/27/2009
Steve
Steve, Technician
Hello, please check the model number on the back of the set for me? It may be missing a digit...

Please try a test for me:

Press Reset on the front panel: the timer light should flash for a minute or so, and then stop.

Press Power on the front panel: the timer light will turn on, then off.

Then, press and hold both the Menu and the Input/Device buttons on the front panel until the timer light starts flashing. It should flash a two digit code: 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc.

For example: 2 flashes, pause, 1 flash, a longer pause, then it repeats. You may want to try this several times to make sure the TV is giving the right code...

Please post the code: this will help determine where the problem is and what it will take to repair it.

Edited by Steve on 12/27/2009 at 8:56 PM EST
Ok to me it seems to be saying 2-2
Okay, thank you. Please post the model number so I can give you some specifics on parts, prices, repair info, etc.
mitsubishi ws 6551
There should be one more digit... such as: WS-65511, WS-65513, WS-65515 etc. Sorry for the trouble, but it makes a big difference in the parts! Smile
sorry about that WS 65511 lote 55 whatever that means
Okay, thank you. The code 2-2 indicates a short protect fault, which is usually caused by a failure in the convergence section. The typical repair involves replacing the convergence IC (integrated circuit), and testing/replacing two small pico fuses. This is a very common failure in these sets.

The replacement IC for your set is part number: STK393-110 and is available from www.encompassparts.com for $24.85. You will also need at least one (likely two) 5 Amp pico fuses. If you wish to repair this yourself, the IC is located on the large heat sink on the center (Power) PC board. The fuses are also on this board, near the center, location numbers: F9A04 and F9A05. You would need soldering equipment and very good soldering skills to replace these parts.

graphic

Here are links to the part pages:

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=7894698
graphic
https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=7997028
graphic
If you were to call a local shop to repair this, the labor to replace these is roughly $250-275 (in my area) if the TV were brought in to the shop. Please add a trip charge if repaired in the home.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.
does the ic chip need to be soldered or just the fuses
The IC does solder in, it also has off-set legs that can be a bit tricky to get lined up in the holes. If you replace it, please make sure all of the legs are accounted for: many times the legs will fall off while desoldering, and the loose legs on the chassis will always cause trouble (Murphy's Law). One leg will already be missing on the original, and the new IC. It's also a good idea to make sure none have come loose or are touching each other after installing the new IC.
Steve
Steve, Technician
Steve
Steve
Steve, Technician