How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Louie Your Own Question
Louie, Technician
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 12579
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
Type Your TV Question Here...
Louie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help getting tv audio from my RCA RTD315W home theater.

Customer Question

I need help getting tv audio from my RCA RTD315W home theater. The only audio out of the Philips 32PFL7332D TV is a single digital RCA plug. There are no 'OUT' analog audio plugs. HDMI doesn't get me tv sound out to the home theater unit, only sound for the DVD playing. I'm at loss for what kind of cable to get to connect the two--where the tv sound flows out of the RCA home theater.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, to my understanding and as you posted, the Philips 32PFL7332D TV has a single DIGITAL AUDIO OUT whereas the RCA RTD315W has only a pair of analog left & right AUX INput. By themselves, they are not compatible. However, with the use of a digital to analog converter, the
single DIGITAL AUDIO OUT of the Philips would be converted to a pair of analog left & right that would fit the AUX IN of the RCA. Here is an example.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.
Louie and other TV Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The audio out jack on the TV looks to be for an analog RCA plug (color black) labled "digital aundio out" --it does not look like it would accept either of the two cable/plug choices you've suggested with the converter. Oddly the TV is a 2007 model and the RCA home theater is a 2009 product. The RCA plays 5.1 dolby surround, so it's odd I cannot get audio to it by only downsampling the audio. The other not so doable part is that converter costs nearly as much as the home theater. I have read about perhaps using the headphone jacks on each unit (3.5mm ?), connecting the two with a cord that has the same plug on either end. Would you know what type of cable that could be? The main problem is the tv seems limited in what you can select for audio-- either the RCA analog inputs or HDMI from VCR, DVD etc coming into the tv, or the single digital audio jack. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
Appreciate the ACCEPT.

Perhaps the image below would give further insights.


The Coaxial Digital Audio Cable maybe viewed here. Incidentally, an ordinary RCA to RCA maybe temporarily used as the plugs are the same. It is just that the cable for digital are coaxial while the standard RCAs are shielded wire.

On your other posts:
  • using the headphone jacks - a 3.5mm to 2 X RCA would do. Examples maybe viewed here. The TV must be mutedfor the headphones to be enabled and set in the Sound menu for the headphone volume adjustment. This would be an inexpensive alternative. Of course audio quality would not be as good as the digital.
  • RCA analog inputs or HDMI from VCR, DVD - are for the inputs and as you posted coming into the TV;
  • single digital audio jack - is for the output, specifically for use of AV receivers, home theater.

Edited by Benimur on 12/27/2009 at 1:40 AM EST
Expert:  Louie replied 7 years ago.
I posted additional information. You may want to consider the headphone plug to RCA.