TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a Sony wide screen projection TV. The model is

Customer Question
XP-51WS500.The standby-timer light is always...
I have a Sony wide screen projection TV. The model is XP-51WS500.The standby-timer light is always on,soon as i plug it in. Help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
12/18/2009
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Is the light on solid or blinking?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Tim, It was manufactered in Oct. 2002, and the light is on solid.

When you press the power button does the tv do anything at all? (make noise, anything?)

Tim

The TV does nothing at all.

There are a couple of things that can cause this. Please tell me a little more about your situation so I know where to go with my answer.

What kind of information are you looking for? Trying to fix this yourself or get a good idea of what's wrong and what it will cost?

If you are trying to repair this yourself, what kind of electronic repair experience do you have, do you know how to use a meter and solder?

Please let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, I worked for FoMoCo for 40 yrs, 25 of that as aqn electrician. I carried my pouch o

n one shoulder and my lap top on the other and my soldering pen in my shirt pocket.I have a fluke meter.I would like to fix this myself (with your help).

Gary

i

Tim, I'm waiting for any suggestion that you might have.

Sorry, lost your question over the holidays because it fell off my list...I am back in town now though and happy to help...does the model number start with K not X?

Tim

It starts with X.

What country are you in? I cannot find that model number anywhere, only kp51wx500...

Tim

sorry Tim the tag was scraped and it looked like X it's a K.

Let me first give you the warning: If you decide to repair this set yourself you will need to be careful, this set feeds the tubes with tens of thousands of volts and if you are not careful and do not know exactly what you are doing you can be hurt. There are also many different caps in the set that hold a charge and can hurt you as well. In addition I have seen many good people destroy their sets because they did not know what they were doing and either broke a circuit board or damaged some traces causing their sets to never work again. If you decide to go forward please take your time and if you are ever not sure on something please stop and ask me! Its better to take a day or two more to fix your set rather than destroy it

Ok the first thing we need to do is check the voltages coming out of the power supply when it is plugged in.

You will see once the back is off the set standing up on the left side is the G-bard, it has a bunch of connectors coming out of it, there is a large one on the back upper side, I need to know what voltages are coming out of this, you might need to move the boards around in order to get to the connector.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

`Tim, there are absolutely no voltages coming from that connector'

Gary

No voltage on any pin huh? Thats crazy, what voltages do you have coming out of that power supply?

Tim

Tim,sorry I've been busy. I rechecked both the connector and the board and I get no voltages neither one.

hey Tim where are you? no more advice? Gary Kroll