Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am unable to connect my dvd/vcr with my Vizio tv. I do have

I am unable to connect my dvd/vcr with my Vizio tv. I do have a direct tv box that might be interfering with the signal
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, postback with the model numbers of the DirecTV receiver box, the DVD/VCR combo and the Vizio TV.

Offhand, if yellow, white & red RCA to RCA cables, then proposed connection would be:
  • DirecTV feed to RF IN of DirecTV box;
  • VIDEO OUT (yellow) and AUDIO OUT (R & L; red & white) of the DirecTV box to be connected to VIDEO IN (yellow) and AUDIO IN (R & L; red & white) of the DVD/VCR combo;
  • VIDEO OUT (yellow) and AUDIO OUT (R & L; red & white) of the DVD/VCR combo would be connected to VIDEO IN (yellow) and AUDIO IN (R & L; red & white) of the Vizio TV.

Additionally, to make it work:
  • the Vizio TV must be set to view its external source (in this instance the DVD/VCR combo) by pressing on the INPUT button. Depending on the model, it maybe labeles as SOURCE, AUX, VIDEO, AV or terms to that effect;
  • theDVD/VCR combo must likewise be set to view its external source (in this instance the DirecTV box) by pressing on the INPUT button. Depending on the model, it maybe labeled as SOURCE, AUX, VIDEO, AV or terms to that effect.

The above proposed connection would also allow the recording of whatever is viewed from the DirecTV to the TV. This of course would require that all the units be powered on even if just to watch DirecTV.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

VCR - DVW-7200

TV - Vizio V0J320F

Directv - R22-100

Here is the info you asked for.

Thanks for you help.

Appreciate your postback and additional information.

Based on the model numbers, suggested wiring scheme would now be:
  • satellite feed to SATELLITE IN;
  • VIDEO OUT V1 (yellow) plus AUDIO OUT L1 & R1 (white & red) of the DirecTV box to the VIDEO IN (yellow) and AUDIO IN L & R(white & red) under VCR of the Sanyo DVW-7200 DVD/VCR combo;
  • VIDEO OUT (yellow) and AUDIO OUT L & R(white & red) under DVD/VCR of the Sanyo DVW-7200 to the VIDEO (yellow) and L AUDIO R(white & red) of AV 1/S-VIDEO of the VIZIO VOJ320F1A.
The above scheme would allow non-copyrighted materials to be recorded (to VHS) should the need arise; no more need to remove, re-install cables & plugs when using either equipment; and i.e. all cables can be left in place. The only 'hitch' in such an arrangement is that all units must be powered ON even if just to watch DirecTV.

To test:
power ON the DirecTV box, the Sanyo DVD/VCR combo and the VIZIO TV units;
  • set Sanyo to DVD mode;
  • play a known to be good DVD movie disc;
  • set VIZIO TV to AV1 by pressing the TV's remote control on its INPUT button a couple of times to cycle through the available external sources. Choices are TV, AV1, AV2, COMPONENT1, COMPONENT2, RGB, HDMI1, HDMI2 and HDMI3. Select AV1;
  • verify that the DVD movie could be seen & heard on the VIZIO TV;
  • press STOP and EJECT disc;
  • set Sanyo to VCR mode;
  • insert a known to be good VHS movie tape and press PLAY;
  • verify that the VHS movie could be seen & heard on the VIZIO TV;
  • press STOP;
  • on the Sanyo's remote, press 0, 0, 1 or Channel DOWN to select L1;
  • verify that the DirecTV programs could be seen & heard on the VIZIO TV;
  • change channels using DirecTV remote.
Incidentally, since to my understanding the DirecTV R22-100 has an HDMI output, this with an appropriate HDMI cable could be connected to the HDMI1 port/jack at the rear of the VIZIO TV. Set VIZIO TV to HDMI1 by pressing the TV's remote control on its INPUT button a couple of times to cycle through the available external sources. Choices are TV, AV1, AV2, COMPONENT1, COMPONENT2, RGB, HDMI1, HDMI2 and HDMI3. Select HDMI1.