TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Have a 50 Samsung HDTV, model #HLM507W and it no longer turns

Customer Question
Have a 50' Samsung HDTV...
Have a 50' Samsung HDTV, model #HLM507W and it no longer turns on, Only a green and red light come on underneath the screen
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
11/4/2009
TV Technician: Eric, Technician replied 8 years ago
Eric, Technician

Hello my name is Eric,

Welcome to Just Answer

Most likey you just need to replace the lamp

To buy a new one search online or click here

The lamp door is at the rear corner of the TV.

The lamp is easy to replace, a few philips screws

If you need more assistance please tell me

What number best describes you?

1. I just want to know what to expect a repairman to charge me,

2.I want to try pushing buttons and checking connections

3. I will open the TV if needed, but have limited tools and skills

4. I have technical skills and have a soldering iron and or voltmeter

If I have helped you with your issue please click accept.

If you have more questions you can still respond until this post expires,

I will reply asap

Thanks

Eric, Technician
I replaced the lamp and the TV turned on and made a buzzing noise from the inside, then in turned on and off a few times, then the 3 lights came back on.

now what?

Either the lamp is only half way in and burning the socket, or your color wheel needs replacing.

Hold the lamp door switch down and turn on the TV looking at the lamp see if it buzzing near the lamp(burning).

If the lamp lights and the buzzing is up front or middle of the TV, its a broken colorwheel.

The colorwheel goes bad from the lamp heat and from spinning at 10,000 rpms.

here is directions for replacing it click here

Let me know what you need from me

Will be back later

Thanks

when i look into the lamp compartment when the tv is turned on, I don't see any light coming form the lamp and it is buzzing, it proceeds to buzz for about 30 sec straight and then turn off, and then back on repeating that cycle about 4-5 times before the 3 lights come on again, does this mean my lamp is faulty by chance or just I need a new color wheel?

Hard to say, are you sure the lamp is all the way in, screw that holds it in tightened?

Remove the lamp and slide it back in , noticing the socket as you slide it in, is it going all the way in? whe you tighten the screw is the lamp flush and snug behind the screw?

If yes , then i would say you probably need a color wheel, can you see the color wheel fins behind the lamp, look through the hole with the lamp out, if the fins are gone the color wheel is shattered and needs replacing.

Here is a similar photo from a toshiba DLP

graphic

Okay so I took off the back part of the t.v. while it was buzzing, and there was no light coming form the lamp as it was trying to turn on. So if the new lamp is emitting no light, is it a faulty part or is it the color wheel? I just don't want to spend money on the wrong thing.
What does it do with the old lamp in there?
the same thing happens with the old lamp

Its a bad color wheel.

A tech would charge about $350 installed.

Or you can try yourself

Let me know how I can help here

Thanks

Could you give me a product # XXXXX something that can make sure I purchase the proper color wheel?

Part # XXXXX google for best price, make sure you get the complete color wheel like this

here are some replacement instructions linked

be careful with the ribbon cable and delicate pieces in there.

Eric, Technician