TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Mitsubishi Medallion HD1080 series and it keeps shutting

Customer Question
off by itself. Try...
I have a Mitsubishi Medallion HD1080 series and it keeps shutting off by itself. Try to turn it on and it shuts right back off. Try a little later and it will come back on but you never know when it will do the same thing again. Usually when you really wan to watch something!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
10/15/2009
TV Technician: Chuck Williams, Technician replied 8 years ago
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician

>>Usually when you really wan to watch something! <<

Well, that's Murphy's Law for you...

I need to know the model number of the TV, it will begin with WS or, possibly, WD.

Chuck

Model # XXXXX

Do you know if it matters whether you are watching HD 1080i or standard def when it happens?

Does it ever happen when you are changing channels?

Chuck

Doesn't seem to matter if it's either or.

Happens any time, first time we turn it on that day or even after a while when watching it.

Never noticed it happen when we change channels.

OK, the next time it shuts down, press the INPUT and MENU buttons (may be DEVICE and MENU on your TV) on the front panel together and hold them down for at least 6 seconds. This should cause the front LED to flash a 2 digit code. If it flashes once, then twice, then pauses and repeats, it means that the TV's computer didn't detect a problem. I'm expecting you will get a 2 flash, then another 1 or 3 flash code.

Let me know what the 2 digit code is.

Chuck

Murphy's Law! As soon as I received your response @ 7:40 (your time) I went in and turned the TV on. It took this long for it to do it's thing again. Finally it suddenly shut off by it's self and I did the test and the results were: 2 flash followed by a 3 flash code.

Did you receive my reply from last night yet? I did get a flash code.

Well, OK, a 2-3 shutdown code means that the horizontal deflection has stopped for some reason. Very odd, that's not usually an intermittent problem.

Are you going to attempt to fix this yourself? Do you have any electronics experience and can solder? If so, I have a couple of ideas to try, but they are somewhat in the long shot category.

Normally, I'd also give you a hint as to what to expect if you call a tech, but this is an oddball enough problem that the only thing a tech could do is come and replace a board and hope that's the problem or take the set to the shop, where, I guarantee you, you'll be in TV repair hell.

Let me know!

OK, Thanks Chuck, that's kinda what we were thinking was going to be the outcome. We are going to re-evaluate our next step.

That's it for now, Thank You!

Is there anything else I can do for you?

If you found my advice helpful, would you mind clicking the Accept icon so that I may be paid for my time? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Chuck

Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician