TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

How do I reset the lock code on a Hitachi LCD TV (model L42VP01U)

Customer Question
? I have tried...
How do I reset the lock code on a Hitachi LCD TV (model L42VP01U) ? I have tried all the obvious ones. I don't mind diving in the back of the set and moving a jumper or whatever if guided by a suitably knowledgeable person who know what they are talking about. Obviously a less invasive solution would be preferred!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
10/1/2009
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 8 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

Thank you for using JustAnswer

Do you know the default is 0000 ?

I have all the info it shouldnt be an problem

Anthony

Edited by Anthony Pr on 10/1/2009 at 7:49 PM EST
Yes, I know the default is 0000 - I have tried that and many others. Will you be able to guide me through resetting it?

Hello again

Their wont be any need to take the back off but you may need to re-set the chips in the service mode

I am currently waiting to download the service manual but the site is down should be back on soon though then I will get back to you ok?

Anthony

OK. If you can't get back to me within, say, 1 hour can I follow instructions tomorrow?

Hello

Yes you can just pick up the emails generated if you get lost

This wont be a prob once I know the entry code for service

Many Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Any luck on the service manual?

Regards

Paul

Hello again

If you do this its very important nothing else is touched in the service menu

Also when you have done this the set will need to be re-tuned and all previous values in the set will be lost,it will be like taking the set out of its box

11. SERVICE MENU SETTINGS

To enter the service menu, first enter the MENU by pressing "MENU" button and then press the digits 1, 4, 6

and 1 respectively.

Now when your in the menu you will have to scroll with the channel button until you find the options menu,there you will see the option to factory reset

Highlight this and press enter or ok

You must wait at least 60 seconds after you have done this and if the set doesnt switch itself off in this time you can do it yourself

Again wait 60 seconds and switch the set on again

The set will be wiped of all previous settings and the default of 0000 will be on the lock

Hope this helps

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hi Anthony,

I'm struggling to get into the menu. In digital TV mode it just comes up with 'Wrong Lock Code'. I tried a few times in analogue TV mode. Normally nothing happens, but just once it came up with the service menu. Unfortunately I think I pressed the wrong button in my excitement and I post the menu. I have not managed to get back into it. Have you any tips?

Regards

Paul

Hi

Switch it off for an hour and try again

Sometimes you have to be fairly swift pressing the buttons

Anthony

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX now get back into the service menu - quick button presses are required as you say.

My problem now is that the factory reset deleted analogue channels, but didn't reset the lock key in digital tv mode. Digital tv channels are also unaffected. Should I try resetting eeprom?

Paul

Hello

I am being honest here I dont know

I would have thought that would have done it

Its your call

Theirs nothing in the manual that says anythings going to work

I know the sharp tvs have this option its called eep clear a and eep clear b and if you press a it renders the set dead as it wipes the software

So I dont know sorry

Anthony

Thanks for being honest. It sounds a very risky option. Is there any way to get the s/w back on, do you know?

Regards

Paul
Anthony,

Thanks for helping me get into the Service Menu. However, I still have not been able to solve my original problem, which is how to reset the Lock Code (so that I can re-tune the digital channels). Will you be able to solve this for me, or should I ask someone else? If so, could I have my money back, please?

Regards

Paul

Hello again

As I see it the way I have said is the only way

I am not saying you are wrong but that factory default should have done more than what you have indicated it should have defaulted ALL the settings thats what its their for

I cant ask you to do the EEPROM becaus it isnt clear what is going to happen,the service manual doesnt indicate this

So I dont want to say clear the EEprom and then you blame me when the micro is wiped,thats your call,it may be the answer I dont know,it doesnt say in the manual and I have never engaged it

This is from the service manual

• Burn-In Mode => If ON, When TV is powered ON Green, Blue, Red is displayed in sequence until Menu button is

pressed. Default is OFF.

• FIRST APS => If ON, "First APS" menu is displayed when the TV is switched on with the factory default settings.

Default is OFF.

• APS Volume => After First APS function finishes, the volume of the TV is that value. Default is 15.

• AGC (dB) => Tuner AGC value. Default is 8.

• Power-Up Mode => Mode defines the TV set power on state. Default is standby.

Stand-by : When TV is ON set is in stand-by mode

Normal : When TV is ON set is in normal mode

Last State: When TV is ON set is in Last State mode

• Factory Reset => OK to activate. When OK is pressed on this item, factory defaults loaded.

• Enter Flash Mode=>

• Reset Eeprom => Initialise default settings.

• Remote select=> 0=RC1546

So as I say the factory default should not just have cleared the tuning like you said it did,I can only say that perhaps you have done it wrong?

Regards

Anthony

Anthony,

I believe I have followed your instructions. I will repeat what I have done here so that you can check that I have understood correctly:

Enter Service Mode - press menu button and then enter 1461 (quickly)
NB this only works when watching analogue TV - does not work when watching Digital TV as entering 1461 brings up Wrong Lock Code message

When in Service Menu, select Options submenu (4th one down) by pressing down key 3 times and the right key

Select Factory Reset (6th option) by pressing down key 5 times

Press OK button. Service menu disappears for a few seconds, then reappears. Service menu disappears after several more seconds.

Leave TV on for 1 further minute, then turn off

Leave TV off for 1 minute, then turn on.

Analogue programmes have disappeared - reinstate by using APS option (blue button) from Programme selection menu

I have repeated this sequence 4 times now. Please can you indicate where I have not followed your instructions correctly.

Regards

Paul

Hello again

OK that looks right the thing thats annoying is it should have done more than just deleted the channels it doesnt make sense

I have been reading the operators manual again and it says that the first time instalation option will itself restore factory default but you must use the first time instalation option,it will ask you if you want to delete,have you tried this?

Anthony

No, I haven't tried the first time installation. I would have tried this a long time ago if I had found it, but I think it is in the menu obtainable only from the digital TV. (Please correct me if I am wrong). I can't get to the DTV menu without the correct lock code - catch 22!

Regards

Paul

Hello

Its a laugh this set isnt it!

It doesnt say anything like that in the user manual it just says press menu were you have the drop down list and their should be an installation option the first time instalation is in there,I cant see why they would hide this in the dtv?

It must be available in analogue?

Anthony

Page 13 of my manual says the following:
IDTV Menu System
The IDTV menu can only be shown when watching
Digital terrestrial broadcasting. Press the button
to turn IDTV on while TV is in analogue mode.
Press the button. The menu below appears on the
screen:
Main Menu
Channel List
Installation
Configuration
Timers
Language
TV Setup
Common Interface
Channel List
Using the or button on the remote control in Main
menu, make sure that the first item, Channel List, is
highlighted and press the OK button to display the
Channel List.
The following operations can be performed in this
menu:
1. Navigating the whole list of channels
2. Deleting channels
3. Renaming channels
4. Adding locks to channels
5. Setting favourites

Do you think you can solve my original problem (resetting the lock code)?

Thanks

Paul

Hello

I think I may have it!

Go back into the service mode

And in their the same place "options" their is a option to have the APS menu on at switch on the default is off,just switch that on and you should see the APS when you restart the set and can go from there hopefully

Anthony

Hmmm, I'll try that when I am allowed to disturb the viewing. However, this will not help my basic problem that I need to reset the lock code so that I can gain access to the other menus in the future. Any ideas on the original question (lock code)?

Regards

Paul

Hello

This should allow you then to reset as all previously stored channels will be erased and you at the very least will be able to access the IDTV to do a first installation its my guess though you wont have to do this and the lock code will have defaulted to 0000

Can I just say that every tv from every manufacturer and every model is different in the fact that the menus and service menus are not the same,its not possible to know every set inside out every one is unique so you have to apply a logical approach to solving the issue its not a case of do I know how to unlock this set.

Their wont be a single engineer who can say do this or do that unless that engineer has spent a great deal of time with that one individual model and even then because of the diversity of models its soon forgotten

Anthony

I tried changing the First APS to ON, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Then I read the bit of the service manual that you sent me again, and it says that First APS works on switch-on with all Factory Default settings. So I did another Factory Reset and noticed that the First APS option gets changed to ON when you do this, so it has been ON on all the previous attempts at doing a Factory Reset.

This is not having the effect on the lock code (or DTV channels) that we are looking for - sorry. Any further ideas?

Regards

Paul

Hello

Im out of ideas

I dont know what you mean by that but Im not with the set

It says default is off

If you contact [email protected] they will refund you

Im opting out another engineer may take over

Anthony

Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician