TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Sharp TV all of a sudden turned white all over the screen.

Customer Question
The sound from different channels...
My Sharp TV all of a sudden turned white all over the screen. The sound from different channels is heard but the screen is bright white for all channels. Same when I play the built-in DVD.    

The model is LC26DV24U, Oct 2008. Can any one help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
7/14/2009
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 8 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hi

Welcome

I have had a look at Sharp technical and their are no bulletins for this model so I can only assume its something that hasnt been common

When you look at the screen can you see images in the background?

Also if you press the menu button does that come up ok clear or will it not?

Regards

Anthony

There are NO images in the background. No response when you press any of the menu buttons on the remote.

Hi again

From what you are saying and the set has no menu coming up either you have a mainboard issue

You have nothing to lose by trying a factory default to reinitialise all the electronics if you wish,but you would lose the sound if it didnt work as the tuning will be lost ?

Let me know

Anthony

How would I try factory default initialization? I don't know what that is. What would I do if it didn't work? What does a mainboard issue imply? I reached your site from the Sharp TV site. Does Sharp take questions directly? If they do, what number would I call? I am not too technically literate and therefore need more specific instructions, sort of like a cookbook recipe (step 1, step 1, etc.).

Hi again

With the fault you have it is probable that it will need a part.....mainboard

Sharp will take a query from you by email but this is for customer support issues usually if the set is under warrenty,if your not they will tell you to take it in for service if they reply at all

If you want to (and their is no gaurantee its going to work) I could instruct you to re-initialise the set by telling you a specific code which isnt in your operating manual but is used by us engineers to factory default the set ie like when you first took it out of the box,so if you were watching through an antenna the set will need to be re-tuned.

I am not saying this is going to work but its worth a try and wont cause any problems if it dont as you cant see picture anyhow

Let me know please

Regards

Anthony

R

TV Technician: Martin, Technician replied 8 years ago
Martin, Technician
Customer just a quick question. Did you move the TV for cleaning in the last week or months? (if you did, you do it often?)

Do you play Wii in front of the TV or have a sub woofer you use very loud?
The TV has not been moved since it was placed at its present site after purchse.

I do not Have Wii nor is there a sub woofer or any stereo system in the room where the TV is located.
Ok, sometime a LCD TV can get a white screen from shock in the house (often when cleaning) or in the transport before installation or cumulative vibration effect over time. The cable that goes to the Panel screen can disconnect just enough to to produce this white screen.

It's something worth to check out before spitting money. On this, i will let you back with Anthony.

Hi again

I am sorry for the rude interruption

To reinitialise the set you need to press down on the set itself VOLUME DOWN at the set and on the remote itself number 1 and hold them both for about 2 to 5 seconds

This will re-initialise the chips

Let me know

Regards

Anthony

I feel pretty stupid asking the following, but here goes

I assume that I should turn the set on first before trying your recommendationm of holding volume down on the set and pressing one on the remote.
Hi Anthony:

I tried your recommendation. It didn't work unfortunately. The only thing that happened is that the sound now is very loud and I cannot lower it. That doesn't matter, however, since I still have no picture.

Hi again

Welcome

In the manual it doesnt say anything about switch off it just says do that

Are you sure you did it right because you should not have sound as the set would want re-tuning ,so if it doesnt cure the fault their will be no sound if it does their will be no sound because everything goes like you just took out of box and was setting it up do you know what I mean?

Try switching set off and holding them buttons DONT FORGET THE OTHER IS ON THE SET ITSELF

Anthony

Anthony:

Thank you for your post. I did reply to this question before but will repeat my reply. I tried your suggestion but had no success. Nothing has changed. I still only see a blank white screen. My sound is still present.

Edith

Hi again Edith

Im afraid your probably looking at a mainboard failure or worse display interface board failure this board drives the display and can only be provided with a new display.

I think at this stage I will opt out although I cannot see any other way to resolve your problem but to initially change the mainboard

Another engineer may have more info

You say you have the TV from oct 2008, that TV have a 1 year warranty from the date on a proof of purchase. I would start from there.
You can ask them about it at 1-800-BE-SHARP to have information about this and to get the closest authorized service to you.

If for one reason or another you don't qualify for the warranty, what i would try to do is to remove all static on you and try to reseat the cable (on both end) that goes to the LCD panel. If you don't feel comfortable performing this yourself, a repair shop will do that for a minimum price if you explain them the situation/problem.
Martin, Technician