TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a samsung 50 inch plasma, wont turn on just clicks.

Customer Question
I have a samsung 50...
I have a samsung 50 inch plasma won't turn on just clicks. There is a blown fuse on the power board that blows as soon as replaced. Can anyone help please? model is ps-50q97hd
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/18/2009
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 8 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Is the fuse the one next to where the power cord plugs into the board at?

-Are you replacing it with the correct size fuse?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Hello, Thank you for your reply. It's not the one next to the power cord plug socket, that one is ok. It's the other one close to the 2 x 450V caps.

Yes, I replaced with same fuse. I think they were 1 amp.

Can you post a picture of the circuit board?

(if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

IF you cannot thats ok I just might have a lot more questions for you...

Let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

HI, Just taken this for you, hope its OK.

graphic

Ok...perfect picture, can you give me a minute to pull a service manual and look at the schematic?

Let me know!

Thanks,

Tim

Of course, thanks again. I will go make a coffee!

Al

Little problem...Can you double check that model number for me? If it is correct, what country is it from?

Thanks!

Tim

NUmber correct but is all in upper case on the back of the TV of course, TV made in Slovakia purchased in England

well, that makes it a little more difficult, because I only have access to US schematics...

Can you take a picture of the under of that circuit board so I try to track down that the fuse is feeding?

Thanks,

Tim

Sure thing Tim

I appreciate your effort.graphic

do you have and know how to use a meter?

Thanks,

Tim

I do, I have a nice autoranger i fly electric aircraft so can test things like continuity and resistance and so on. anything more complex I can take instruction.Laughing

I want you to put you meter on the color code that I have circled on the cap and diode I have circled in the picture and tell me if the what resistance readings you get...

Thanks!

Tim

graphic

Hi, tested as you advised. The cap initially showed 25MOhm dropped to 5Mohm for second and third test. Diode shows 4.3MOhm

Undecided

Ok check that one...

graphic

That one is a 3 legged component and the 2 you highlight read 14Mohms dropping under test to 10.9MohmWink

Looks like you should replace the whole circuit board at this point, that is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Thanks for the advise tim, I want to repair this one, its such a waste to throw the whole thing away and the TV is 13 months old. I was looking for advise on which component to replace as the whole board is not toast obviously.
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician