TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Id like to add another receiver to my Directv service. I

Customer Question
I'd like to add another...
I'd like to add another receiver to my Directv service. I currently lease my existing receiver (a dual tuner DVR). I found out it will cost $70 up front to lease another receiver, plus $5/mon. I'm okay with the $5/mon, but the $70 up front seems steep. I don't plan to use this second receiver near enough to justify that additional cost.
I see used receivers for sale on Craiglist all the time. Is there any reason I can't buy the second receiver used for $10 to $15 and simply add that to my service (presumably for $5/month)? I have a triple LNB on the dish so I have room for one more receiver without needing a dish upgrade.
If adding a used receiver will work (generally), how does it work (specifically) with regard to the access card in the receiver? Should the used receiver come with it? If not, should I request a new one from Directv after I purchase the receiver? Will they still charge me $70 because I need a new card. I assume the card is what links the receiver to my acct.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
6/4/2009
TV Technician: mahndedrea,
 replied 8 years ago
mahndedrea
hello

thanks for your question.

If you are looking to purchase a used directv receiver from here or anywhere, make sure BEFORE you pay for it, you get the receiver ID # XXXXX the person selling it and call Directv with that number to make sure you can get an access card for it. I have been looking for several weeks for a receiver, and EVERY SINGLE AD I have called about, once I got the receiver ID from the person and called Directv, they told me every single time that the person had walked out with a balance due on their acct and they will NOT NOW or ANYTIME (unless the balance is paid off), ever activate that specific receiver. SO......BUYERS BEWARE....NOT THAT EVERYONE IS TRYING TO RIP PEOPLE OFF, SOME PEOPLE MIGHT NOT REALIZE THE RECEIVER CANNOT BE USED.......BUT I'M SURE THEY KNOW THEY DIDN'T PAY THEIR BILL...........SO JUST BEWARE...GET THAT ID # XXXXX YOU BUY. If a seller won't give it to you, you're best off to just steer clear of that one and move on...... Directv's number is XXXXX and ask the for access card dept.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27350-4-adding-directv-cost

Please Accept
Thanks for your response. So, just to make sure I understand this, is the receiver ID # XXXXX static (permanent) address of the hardware itself (much like a MAC address in computer equipment), that has nothing to do with the access card, correct? If so, presumably there is a label on the receiver displaying this number that I can get easily from the seller.

It also seems then that I don't need an access card with the used unit as Directv will provide a new one to me (assuming the hardware isn't blacklisted). Do you know if there is an additional cost to get the new access card from Directv? If so, and depending on the cost, this may no longer be such a good deal afterall.

Thanks for your help!

Relist: I still need help.
The original answer I did receive wasn't complete, and my reply to clarify matters hasn't been answered.
TV Technician: James W, Sr Mgr Electronics replied 8 years ago
James W
James W, Sr Mgr Electronics

I agree with you that it may not be such a good deal afterall.

Clarify with Direct TV if you are Buying a receiver for the money or renting it.

I know that you have to pay $5 per receiver for mirroring charge for your programming..

BUT if that is the ONLY fee you have to pay, then buying used is a terrible Idea.

There will often be a charge for the accesscard if it is missing or invalidd and this could be $40..

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get used equipment without a warranty that is the old model and probably slower with fewer features all to save $30..

Also... You said you have a triple LNB dish..

How many outputs does it have going into the house?

Does it have two wires or 4 wires that can lead to the house?

If you don't have the right switch, then it will still be hard to hook up.

James W
James W
James W, Sr Mgr Electronics