TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Is it difficult to change a DLP chip ( Samsung ). I have white

dots on my screen. A...
Is it difficult to change a DLP chip ( Samsung ). I have white dots on my screen. A local tv repairman told me it was a deffective chip.
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/4/2009
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician

Customer,

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem on all inputs? (dvd, cable, satellite, ect.)

-Do you have any electronic repair expereince?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Model # XXXXX

TV IS 2YRS.

dots show on all inputs.

I'm a network technician for COX Communications.

You cannot change just the DMD chip, you will need to replace the DMD board.

The board is not going to be rocket science to change but its not a walk in the park either.

It basically consists of taking the set apart, finding the dmd board which is going to be almost right in front of you, unplugging some delicate wires, taking out the screws holding the dmd in place, taking it out and putting the new one back in. One of the hardest parts is after you replace it you will need to align the new board. This takes two people to make it easy, one is in the back moving the board around until the one in the front says its good. This is also the most dangerous part because your hands are in the set while it is on, one wrong move and you will get hurt or destroy your new board or worse your set.

The part number you need depends on the serial number, if you give me the serial number off the back I can do some research and get back to you in a few hours with a part number. Both boards that it could be are around $200.

Please let me know if you have more questions or would like more information.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Serial # XXXXX

I am sorry now we need the date of manufacture off the back.

Looks like they had some problems with this part so they changed it a few times so its hard to look up what one you need. If you can get me the date I can tell you the part number you need.

Thanks,
Tim

.October 2006

The part number for your DMD module according to samsung is BP96-01636a

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

any recommendations of a certain website to order the board from

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Samsung/Samsung/BP9601636A/New.aspx

Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
e dmd board did not fix my problem. The dlp chip or dmd panel detatches from the board. You can see the dot pattern on the screen of the chip. The dmd board does not come with the chip.

I have never seen a DMD board come without the chip, on all the DMD boards that I have replaced over the years. Yes the DMD chip is the problem but I have also never seen just the DMD chip sold before. I am going to look into this for you and see why you got a board without a chip, this is something new that I have not seen. I even changed a board last week in a different model than yours and the chip was in it. I am blown away that you got a board without one.

Did you order the part number I gave you?

Where did you order it from?

Let me know so I can check into this for you.

Thanks,

Tim

I ordered the board from partstore.com. The packing slip item # XXXXX XXXXX Description is assy dmd board PK220 sypro

Well this looks like the first time I have encountered this, but the DMD chip is sold separately on this model for whatever reason. There are two different ones however so we need the version code of the tv. Can you look on the back and see if it is version code PB01 or PB02 so I can give you the correct part number.

Thanks,

Tim

The version code is PB02

The part number you need directly from Samsung's parts research department is 4719-001981

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,

Tim

Yeah, I reasearched it and found the same results. Thanks for your help anyway. For future reference partstore.com will not refund electronic parts, even if they are defective. Which mine was. I can't even use the DMD board because it shows the pic. upside down.

Sorry we had a fumble on this one, please let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician