TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

What causes an LCD tv screen to go white and can I fix it

Customer Question
?...
What causes an LCD tv screen to go white and can I fix it ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: TV
1/21/2009
TV Technician: Martin, Technician replied 8 years ago
Martin, Technician
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

A LCD screen goes white when the liquid crystal are in a relaxed state.   When that happen, all the light from the light source goes trough. That mean it's very possible the connector to it is not well fixed.

You can usually fix this yourself by pushing it more. Be very careful when opening a TV/Monitor as there is very high tension present. That problem usually happen after the TV was moved or bumped.

If this does not work, a component on the board is faulty and will and the device will need servicing. That is usually not the problem if you don't see diagnostic flashing lights. The diagnostic systems don't monitor the final LCD screen activities.
Thank you, Martin. This is a GPX under-cabinet radio/dvd/tv. The tv folds down and swivels. What would I push?
I see. This make it a bit more complicated. Perhaps the cable itself connecting the "2 parts" got damaged from repetitive movement.

You will need to disassemble it. And push every things that is not soldered and look like a cable or a data ribbon. Start from the LCD screen itself. You might also ask a technician to do this, he will be able to check if a cable is damaged.
GPX doesn't support this product and it is analog tuner. Do you think taking it to a repair shop is worth it?
As it's probably just an electrical cable or a connector, i think a repair shop should be able to fix it for cheap (they won't need to order any part).

Call them and explain them what you told me and what i told you.

If you can't find a place that will do it cheap and you decide to get another one, try to get something that is all separated. Combo device are all cheap (never say a quality one) and when they break it's a mess.
Martin, Technician
Martin, Technician