TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Why do our tv's get static interference every couple

Customer Question
minutes? They are fine all...
Why do our tv's get static interference every couple minutes? They are fine all day and then around 3:30 pm in the afternoon they get static on both audio and video for about 15 seconds every 2 minutes or so. We have tried unplugging our computer's router, unplugging many appliances, and shutting down our furnace as suggeted by a local repairman. We are losing our minds on this one! Please help.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: TV
1/9/2009
TV Technician: Edward, Technician replied 9 years ago
Edward
Edward, Technician

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

When the problem happens does it also happen if you play a DVD or tape.

Do you have the problem on every channel? If not which channel do you have the problem on?

What is supplying the signal to the TV?

How does the interference appear on the screen. What problems does the picture have?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Sorry, I realized after I sent you the problem that I wasn't very descriptive.

We experience static lines through the top and middle of the screen on all of our tv's including those on satellite (Direct TV), those hooked up to the roof antenna, and those that are on rabbit ears. It is on every channel. We just purchased an HD converter box to convert our analog signal and we hoped this might help but it didn't. The problem does not occur when we watch videos or DVD's. We even think we may be experiencing some interference on our stereo but we're not certain if it's related.

We also were told that it may be something that the neighbors have in use. We live in the country though and our nearest neighbors are several hundred yards away. We have also asked them if they have the same problem and the do not.

graphic

graphic

Does either of these images look like the interference? If so is it the top or bottom one?

If it is similar to either one I would say the top one but that's not exactly what it looks like. There is a higher degree of interference. The picture is more difficult to make out. I would say 75% of the time the lines are through the top and middle of the screen. Other times it is through the whole screen but the picture is still visible, just harder to see kind of like your top picture.

Please click here for a very good site that will help you determine what type of interference you are getting. Since the problem does not happen when you play DVD or tapes and the problem is occurring at about the same time every day I suspect the problem is RF interference being caused by some type of radio equipment. The problem is not a TV problem. The TV is showing what it is getting. I would contact direct TV. They should be able to help eliminate the problem. Finding the transmitter that is causing the problem can be difficult. Look to see if any one close to you has large antennas. If you find one I suspect that they are causing the problem. They are required by law not to interfere with TV and other radio signals. In reality if they do not comply all you can do is file a complaint with the FCC. Getting them to do anything can tale years and many reports.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Edward
Edward
Edward, Technician