TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My 4 year old 27 tube tv has horizontal lines across the screen

Customer Question
My 4 year old 27"...
My 4 year old 27" tube tv has horizontal lines across the screen which move and vary in size from almost indistinguishable to very annoying. Is this a death spiral?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2008
TV Technician: Chuck Williams, Technician replied 9 years ago
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician

Tough to say, but horizontal lines would generally move vertically. Is this what you mean?

Could you be seeing diagonal lines and a somewhat washed-out picture?

Do you have more than one source of video (like a DVD player and TV), and do all sources exhibit this problem?

Also, it would be a help to have the make and model number of the TV.

Chuck

Could you be seeing diagonal lines and a somewhat washed-out picture? The lines are horizonatal/diagonal. When the set gets turned on the lines are wide and the picture so distorted it is unwatchable. Then (10 minutes ago) it pretty much cleared up although small lines were still visible.

Do you have more than one source of video (like a DVD player and TV), and do all sources exhibit this problem? I didn't check the DVD until the lines had already cleared up (mostly) but my memory is that it works ok.

Sylvania mfg 9/2004 SRCD427p

It's always a little tough to diagnose without seeing the symptom, but when you say the picture is distorted, can you be a little more specific?

Such as, does the picture seem washed out while these diagonal lines are present? Is the distortion geometric in any way (meaning round shapes, for instance are distorted into ovals or some other shape)?

And, after 10 minutes, doe sthe picture suddenly snap back to normal or is it a gradual improvement?

Chuck

It's always a little tough to diagnose without seeing the symptom, but when you say the picture is distorted, can you be a little more specific? The horizontal lines are large and jagged and move up and down in a jiggle pattern.

Such as, does the picture seem washed out while these diagonal lines are present? Is the distortion geometric in any way (meaning round shapes, for instance are distorted into ovals or some other shape)? I can't say the picture is washed out. There are no identifiable geometric shapes.

And, after 10 minutes, doe sthe picture suddenly snap back to normal or is it a gradual improvement? It improved pretty quickly. I wrote because the picture was consistently marginal yesterday. Then after you responded, I turned it on, had the same symptoms which did clear up. When I turn the set on and off, there is sometimes an improvement, but not to the standard on the DVD setting.

Sorry, I'm a little confused by your last statement regarding the DVD. It exhibits this problem, too, correct?

Also, are you comfortable with electronics and can solder? I ask because you might be able to find out more about your problem if you are comfortable probing around on the inside of the set.

And, are you saying that if you turn the set on, and the picture has the problem, you can sometimes turn the set on and off repeatedly and the problem clears up?

Sorry, I'm a little confused by your last statement regarding the DVD. It exhibits this problem, too, correct? The DVD does NOT exhibit the problem(s)

Also, are you comfortable with electronics and can solder? I ask because you might be able to find out more about your problem if you are comfortable probing around on the inside of the set. No soldering capability

And, are you saying that if you turn the set on, and the picture has the problem, you can sometimes turn the set on and off repeatedly and the problem clears up? Yes

Oh, I see. If the DVD is OK, then the problem has to be a defective TV tuner. This is not an uncommon problem in TV sets, and you can work around this problem by connecting an outboard TV tuner (you can use an old VCR) to the AV input jacks that you currently have the DVD player connected to, and just use the VCR to change channels.

If you are using a cable TV set top box, it's quite possible the problem is with the box, so investigate that.

Many set top boxes have AV outputs that would connect where your DVD player is, so if appropraite, check that out.

Or, you can take the TV in for service. A replacement tuner would be in the $65 range, plus, of course, labor. Unless this is a special TV, you might want to consider replacing it instead of repairing it.

Chuck

Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician