TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

my magnavox tv turns itself off about 5 seconds after I turn

Customer Question
it on. The tv...
my magnavox tv turns itself off about 5 seconds after I turn it on. The tv is about 1 year old. The problem just started.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: TV
10/28/2008
TV Technician: Edward, Technician replied 9 years ago
Edward
Edward, Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

When I try to turn the tv on, it turns off about 5 seconds after the picture comes on. It does not matter whether I turn the tv on with the remote or manually. The result is the same. Model No.zomt1331/17. I have owned the tv for about one year. I haven't done anything to correct the problem because I do not know how. I did unplug the tv from the wall outlet for a couple of hours. I also removed the batteries from the remote. The tv still turns off a few seconds after it is turned on.

By unplugging the TV for an hour or more you did a power reset. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. Power supply failure is common. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down or will keep it from turning on when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts, which includes millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Diodes and IC can go bad. This may have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for a proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment specifically designed for TV service and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own? Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Edward
Edward
Edward, Technician