TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I get no sound from my 42 inch protron lcd TV. I have ...

Customer Question
I get no sound from...
I get no sound from my 42 inch protron lcd TV. I have tried everything except throwing it against the wall.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: TV
8/10/2008
TV Technician: Edward, Technician replied 9 years ago
Edward
Edward, Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

I have had the TV for about 2 years now. The TV is wall mounted so getting the model number will take awhile. It is connected to a cable box which I have replaced with a new one. I was thinking that maybe the old box was bad but this is not the case. Sound is okay on other TVS' that I connect to this box, so all is okay there. I had a cable service rep out and he was unable to get sound from the av1 port which he said that he should be able too. Therefore the problem must be in the TV.
Should I not be able to connect the cable box to a home theater and get sound that way?
You asked "Should I not be able to connect the cable box to a home theater and get sound that way?" This would depend on the cable box and the home theater you have. Do you get sound when playing a DVD or tape?
The home theater is does not have a dvd player. I have an older sony high end amp that I plan to use. I had the amp connected prior to wall mounting the TV and it worked fine. After wall mounting, I chose to use the internal speakers on the TV. Everything went fine until I turned it on one day and had no sound. I have connected and re connected and still no sound.

If you have done everything the owners manual says to correct the problem likely the amplifier section of the TV has gone out causing the problem. If this is the case repair will be needed to get it operating correctly. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Edward
Edward, Technician
Okay, thanks for your answer. But should I not be able to connect my home theater amp, thus bypassing the internal amp in the TV?
What is the make and model number of your home theater amp?
I have a sony av 601 amp. It is about 25 years old. Of course there is not a hdmi connection. Lots of video and audio connections. Can I bypass the tv amp and connect directly to the Sony amp and get my TV sound that way? If so, how do I connect it? Do I run the audio from the cable box to the TV and then to the amp or what? Remember, I had the amp connected before I wall mounted the TV, but I did not notice how it was connected. I do not know if the TV amp needs to work for this type of connection. I am assuming that the amp on the TV has gone bad.
Without the model number of the TV I have no way of knowing what outputs the TV has and if you have the possibility to get line out through the menu of the TV. Could you either post a picture of the back of the TV showing the inputs or tell me what they are?
Edward
Edward
Edward, Technician