Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

My 2013 F250 (76,000 miles - 6 speed 6R140 transmission) is

My 2013 F250 (76,000 miles - 6 speed 6R140 transmission) is experiencing a transmission problem the Ford service writer says he has never heard of before. After searching the internet for a month, and taking the truck to a trusted transmission specialist and a shop that specializes in electronic problems, I am beginning to believe him.I have been driving the same relatively flat North Texas road with the same travel trailer (around 6,500 lbs - truck rated at 12,500 lbs) for 4 years now with no issues. Now, and ONLY when I am towing, regardless of whether I am in tow or regular mode, the transmission will down shift randomly. For example (and I made a video of the instrument panel to show the repair technicians), I was doing 60mph on a flat road in 5th gear and the transmission shifted into 3rd gear and revved up from 1,800 to 4,000 rpm. I let off the gas slightly and after about 30 seconds it climbed back to 5th. If I tried to even slightly accelerate, it would drop as low as 2nd and up to 5,000 rpm.I took the trailer out again last week and the same problem, going and coming.If I put it in manual mode, I don't have the problem, but I am constantly having to remember to shift up and down.The transmission fluid level and color is good, the transmission temp has never risen when doing this (below the middle of the gauge), no check engine codes, no flashing tow mode light/TCM codes. There are no noises other than the whine of an engine getting close to the 6,000 rpm redline. I checked for a rolling resistance problem with the trailer, but the brake hubs and axles were cool to the touch after 40 miles of rolling. I jacked up each axle of the trailer and spun the tires freely.Without a load it is absolutely perfect, which of course is the only time that a technician has examined it and said nothing is wrong.The technician who specializes in electrical problems says, based on the video, it looks like the computer is telling the transmission to shift at odd times, but he doesn't know why it would not when it is not under a towing load. The transmission technician said the transmission appears mechanically fine. The dealer service writer says bring the truck and my check book in without offering any other insight!
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no...taken it to a transmission shop, and electrical systems expert and a Ford dealer
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The technician who specializes in electrical problems says, based on the video, it looks like the computer is telling the transmission to shift at odd times, but he doesn't know why it would not when it is not under a towing load. The transmission technician said the transmission appears mechanically fine. The dealer service writer says bring the truck and my check book in without offering any other insight! I have uploaded the video of the instrument panel of what it is doing.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

If you set the cruise does this still occur?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does it on cruise.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does not look like the video uploaded. If you send an e-mail address I can send it because it might give more insight as it shows speed, rpms, temps, etc registering on the instrument panel. Or I can send a link to google files so you can view it. It is in MP4 format.

I can only view video files here if they are turned into youtube files and I am given that URL.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
https://youtu.be/bVDqggF8b3Y on youtube.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stopped by another dealership. Service writer looked up the VIN in the Ford database and found out it had an extended warranty recall for reprogramming the PCM for an ABS issue. Further down the bulletin it made a reference to "irregular shifting" and had steps to service the solenoids. They will reprogram the PCM under the recall on Thursday and I will test it Friday under load to see if it still does it. Will keep you posted of progress then.

So far this looks to be an incorrect load or accelerator pedal position sensor reading getting to the PCM. Can you monitor that with a scan tool? I have done the update you are referring to but I do not recall it address this concern you have, but I would still do it.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The PCM reprogramming has apparently reset the expected shifting of the gears. I drove for 3 hours this morning on both curvy hilly country roads and Hwy 380, from Prosper to Pilot Point to Hidden Valley and back again.The only problem I had on the back road to Ray Roberts Johnson Branch was a hill when I was in cruise mode at 60 mph. It decided it needed 2nd gear and redlined at 6,000. After that for two hours, everything performed as expected.EXCEPT, I am now extremely sensitive to the high pitched whine given a truck that dropped into second at 60 mph. It sounds exactly like when a transmission goes out where speed does not increase but the sound goes up. Under stress, 4th gear and below rpms go up as would be expected. But they go up to a point and stay, and a high pitched up-and-down whine comes from the engine compartment without any change to the rpms or speed.I am trying to remember if I have ever heard such a sound that comes from in front of me, but don't recall. In the example attached, I pressed the gas a bit and then came the whine.What do you make of that? URL for Youtube below20180622 092400

The new youtube url did not come through.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiqczQg9mac&feature=youtu.be

Are you encountering a hill in that video when it downshifts and revs up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The video was last Friday and on a slight incline In traffic that I was trying to keep pace with. Also today, I was driving with no load it is misfiring so badly I had a hard time even getting moving from a stop (happens randomly). At one point today it stalled and I lost all engine power at 30 mph, coasted to a stop, restarted and went on. Dealer had noted there is a mode 06 misfire when they had it l Thursday, but i have never had that happen.

Based on your last replay you may have some injectors failing or a concern with the high-pressure injector pressure not where it should be.