Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 S60 T5. When I was driving it this morning the…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 S60...
I have a 2006 S60 T5. When I was driving it this morning the transmission started clunking like it was trying to downshift just before the car came to a halt. This was followed by a transmission service message and a check engine light on the dash board. Next, it stopped shifting all together, remaining in one gear. Along with that, the gear display on the dashboard just showed a line. I parked the car for about a half hour. When I started it again everything was normal again, except I'm still getting the transmission service notification and the check engine light. Could this be a control/software issue? What should I do next?
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Transmissions
5/31/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 20 days ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi - has anything been checked so far?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No. I wasn't sure where to begin. Volvo mechanics are notoriously pricey around here so I'm trying to troubleshoot as much as I can.
Transmission Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 19 days ago

what is the mileage on the vehicle? has the transmission ever been serviced?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
157,869. I've only had the car since January so I have no idea if was ever serviced. It appears to have had all of its regular maintenance including timing belts and such the like.

This warning occurs when the transmission senses a fault or is missing a needed input that is required for proper operation. This warning is not specific to any one thing and can occur for many, many reasons. Anything from a simple low fluid level or failed sensor to internal wear / slippage or complete transmission failure can cause this. Even a missing input from the ABS system or a failing alternator can cause this, etc, etc, etc.

The good news is that when this warning comes on, the transmission computer logs a record of the fault, which can be read out to shed additional light on the exact nature of the issue. Thus, the only way to determine why the transmission warning is on is to have the fault memory read out using a compatible scan tool. Once the fault memory is read, the problem can be identified, and the issue fixed.

Without knowing what faults are stored, all a person can do is guess at the problem – which can get very expensive, very quickly.

You can always try to unhook the battery for an hour to see if the warning will go away, but even if it does, it will only be a matter of time until it comes back – it will keep coming back until the underlying fault is resolved.

There is no other way to resolve this issue – the fault memory must first be read out so that the issue can be identified. Any action taken without first knowing the stored fault logs is risky guess work. Once the issue is identified with the aid of the fault logs, the problem can be corrected, the warning switched off, and normal transmission operation restored.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

did you have additional questions?