Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have the same issue that this person had with my 1999

Customer Question
I have the same...

I have the same issue that this person had with my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummings engine. When the tank hits 1/4 it will not shift out of 1st gear. However one interesting note is that when I am driving it I can run the tank below 1/4 of a tank and it keeps shifting fine...however as soon as I shut it off and restart the truck it will not shift out of 1st gear. Now as soon as I put enough gas into the tank to take it above the 1/4 mark it will shift perfectly. I have worked on cars and trucks over 40 years never seen anything like this, makes no sense??? Did this person find a fix for this vehicle with the same issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Original with 120.000 miles on the truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have had a new filter and complete fluid replacement and even tried changing out the shift solenoids, we have smoked and physically searched the truck for vacuum leaks and the ejection fuel pump has been replaced with a new one.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We have found this issue with several people and none of the local Dodge mechanics have been able to figure it out. I am about to drop the tank and inspect the tank but figured I would ask if this case was ever resolved first.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
6/1/2018
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

I've seen this complaint several times on this site. The trans itself has no idea of fuel level and fuel doesn't affect it, but the reasonable explanation is that the inlet filter on the pickup in the tank is restricted. When fuel level is above approximately 1/4 then fuel naturally falls into the reservoir and is drawn to the engine. When the level is lower then fuel has to be pulled through the inlet filter. If it is restricted then it will reduce fuel flow, which will reduce engine power, which will cause you to have the throttle open further than you should be on acceleration. Holding the throttle open further increases transmission throttle pressure which holds shifts longer.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Pulled the tank over the weekend and everything was clean, very little debri in the tank and the filter was pretty clean. And believe me I know the gas level has nothing to do with the transmission and that is exactly why no one can figure this problem out. Something is telling the ECM not to shift the transmission when the fuel level is below 1/4 tank. I did not find anything wrong in the tank, all the lines, fill tube and sensor look great and the wiring is in perfect condition.
The ECM isn't involved in trans operation.We're no parts replaced then?
No parts were replaced everything in the tank were in perfect working order!

But how was that determined, just a visual inspection? You don't mention any actual testing.

Visual inspection showed clean screen and no cracks or broken hoses, all seals in the tank are sealed. Checked fuel pressure to the tank pump when the pump is cycled it’s at 21 psi, engine running it’s at 18.5 psi at 2,000 rpm it’s at 17 psi normal driving the pressure was at 18.5 psi under load it was at 16 psi.

You can't see inside the tank module though, a visual inspection will only get you so far.

You're concerned with what the pressure is at the time the problem is happening, and if ok then a clear feed line would be installed to check for the presence of air.

When we took the truck into the dealership for repair they said it was tested for air and was okay, they put in a new injection pump filter etc. after 4K in parts and labor the problem still there. It has been to two other dealerships another 2k in repairs no resolve. Each dealership tapped out and said they could not fix it.
The pressures I gave you are what I get during the issue. FYI

Is there any other necessary information that was omitted when the question was posted?

I think this is too complicated to do over this type of media, my intention was to see if any of the others this site has worked with had resolved the issue. It’s apparent to me that none of them have been resolved and I understand that this is a very strange and not normal problem. I will keep cracking at it myself have a great week!

Good luck with your truck.