Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2004 caddilac wont go into 3 and 4th gear only 1 and 2…

Customer Question
Hi my 2004 caddilac...

Hi my 2004 caddilac wont go into 3 and 4th gear only 1 and 2 gear what does it mean do i need a new transimmion ?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

No i havent check the brake switch what does it have to do with brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Cadillac?

Esclade esv 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i put new 3 and 4th switch inside the transmmion and new trans gasket new filter new fuuild

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to klnow if i need a new transimmion

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 2 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

Can you go on a test drive for me but this time put the shifter in manual second gear. Get the car over 45 mph and then shift it to over drive and see if it will go into t 4th gear please?

i did that already it wont change to 3rd gear
im deaf i cant hear
typing is the only way
hello

Have you had any other trouble out of it before it would not change to 3rd?

No first time and I only had that SUV for 6 mobths

Would it be possible for you to get a pic of the pan on the bottom of the transmission so I can see what trans it has in it?

Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 1 month ago

Where you able to get a pic of the pan on the transmission?